Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • What plants won't my african cichlids eat?

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

What plants won't my african cichlids eat?

Postby CichlidsTank » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:02 pm

I know alot of people are against putting plants in a african cichlid tank, but I want to add more color to mine.

I just don't know what kind of plants I can add with out my africans eating them.

I'm pretty sure once I get them I can figure out how to plant them so they can't be dug up, but I don't know what kind to get.

My fish are listed below in my signature. My only fish that is a herbivore is the yellow tail acei. So what kind of plant won't they eat?

Thanks.
55 Gal with 10 Gal Sump - Mbuna
6-Acei
2-Red Zebra
1-Afra Cobue
2-Saulosi
CichlidsTank

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby DJRansome » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:13 pm

I have never found any that mbuna won't nibble. And I don't like the nibbled look. Some people have success with anubias and java fern. They also can grow on rocks, eliminating the uprooting problems.

Fogelhund and fmueller have success with everything, even vallisneria. I wish I knew their secrets!
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby gage » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:56 pm

my Mbuna ripped my Anubias apart... never tried Java Fern but I imagine the same thing would happen to it.
gage

Postby DJRansome » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:02 am

Apparently the secret is add a LOT of plants...not 3 but 30. That way if the mbuna nibble here and there it won't be as obvious and the plants will regrow faster than the mbuna can nibble.

I figure I'll learn how to do well with the plants in my carnivore tanks and then see if I want to add them to the mbuna tank. The plants sure do help with the algae on the rocks.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby doxiegirl » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:04 pm

I have several plants in my 60 gallon- onions plants, anubias, and java fern. When I had aceis all the new leaves on the anubias were nibbled right away- since all I have now is zebras the plants have been safe. I have the anubias strapped to small rocks and java fern on lava rock. I do have to prune them and wipe the algae off- I have some diatom problems- but it's not much work for the look.
doxiegirl

Postby CichlidsTank » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:12 pm

I'm going to try some java fern first. Maybe some spiral valisneria too.

I hope my yellow tail acei like pellet food more than fresh java fern :?
6-Acei
2-Red Zebra
1-Afra Cobue
2-Saulosi
CichlidsTank

Re: What plants won't my african cichlids eat?

Postby MCKP » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:04 am

CichlidsTank wrote:I just don't know what kind of plants I can add with out my africans eating them.

Fake. :thumb:
125g:
setting up 4/6-4/7
10g:
29 Little Baby Yellow Labs
30g:
16 yellow Lab/Greshakei mix babies
45g:
Empty(turtle tank)
5g:
23 lab babies
20g:(VERY temp)
1 Greshakei Male
8 Blue Socolofi
6 Yellow Labs
1 Redtail Shark
MCKP

Postby Dewdrop » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:16 pm

I gave up on plants in my mbuna tank. They even tore up a moss ball. I do have some in my N. brichardi tank now but the pleco I have in there uproots the stem plants every night :x .
Dewdrop
55g. mainly malawi mbuna tank, 29g. N. brichardi & pleco, 20g. grow out, 10g. fry, 10g. quarantine/hospital, 1.5g. 1st. stage fry/misc., 1.5g. snails & ghost shrimp
Dewdrop

Postby CichlidsTank » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:44 pm

I ended up adding some Anubia and Java Ferns.

So far I haven't seen any of them nibble on them yet.
6-Acei
2-Red Zebra
1-Afra Cobue
2-Saulosi
CichlidsTank

Postby ridley25 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:57 pm

Good luck. I had anubias growing nicely for almost two years, but then one day my saulosi decided to shred them all. But like you, a like a bit of green, so I'm going to kid myself and waste some money and try again with far more plants.

kevin
Malawi 125g: Labeotropheus fuelleborni, Labidochromis sp. "Hongi SRT," Metriaclima sp. "Msobo," Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei," Pseudotropheus sp. "Williamsi North," Syndodontis njassae
Tanganyika 15g: 'Lamprologus' multifasciatus species tank
ridley25

Postby CichlidsTank » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:22 pm

I'm going to kid myself and waste some money and try again with far more plants

-good luck ridley!

one day my saulosi decided to shred them all

-For some reason I have a feeling my plants will all be shredded one day too.
Hopefully before that happens they'll be big bushy plants and they won't be fazed by any puny little african cichlids
6-Acei
2-Red Zebra
1-Afra Cobue
2-Saulosi
CichlidsTank

haha

Postby LiveFishDirect » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:24 pm

Plastic plants are the only ones I have had success with. I like the look of a rocky tank so I don't care much for plants.

Get a cool foam rock background and some sweet rocks for your tank and you will be amazed at how sweet it can look. :thumb:
LiveFishDirect

Postby TKC747 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:51 pm

I have java fern with a yellow lab...so far so good, theyre potted
TKC747

Postby davespeed3 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:03 pm

All the above plants will be pretty safe with Haps/Peacocks (I've also Yellow Labs and Acei), the spiral Vallis I had was very slow growing and I had better luck with the straight and giant varieties. The Anubias tend to get algae growth on the leaves and are best grown in shaded areas. I have a lot of Java Fern attached to driftwood which can be moved around when cleaning or re-scaping, this has grown well and I've now got it in most of my tanks by transferring the 'daughter' plants. I don't use 'ferts', CO2 or special lighting.
davespeed3

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)