Lake Tanganyika Species • Frontosa ID

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Frontosa ID

Postby Blue Zaire » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi all, can assist me to identify this front? Is this a Zaire kapampa Wild?
Many Thanks and God Bless.
Blue Zaire

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Mr Mbuna » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:39 pm

It is not possible to tell if it is wild or a Kapampa from a photo, but you can say what variant it is (ie, Zaire, Tanzania etc). With this fish, the body shape and colouring is right for a Zaire, but the face mask is not right. Looks more like a Tanz or possibly a Burundi type or even a cross between the two, I wouldn't like to say for certain.
Mr Mbuna

Postby becadavies » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:05 pm

Have to second Mr Mbuna :thumb:

I think it has a burundi shaped face- cant see the mask/stripe to say for sure sorry!
becadavies

Postby joesfish » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:18 pm

I have to agree that it's very hard to tell with the pics you have. If you could send some more pics of the fish and maybe a close up of the face. As for telling WC or F1 not to possible, some people believe that the upper muscle on the Fronts back is larger with WC then with F1's being that WC build that muscle more from swimming unlike tank raised fish. Also I have seen Kapampa's look like your fish from what I can see with the pics. The mask is there and will only show at times, in my experience this has been more common with males. The finage and color is there and it's a very nice looking fish, but I would have to see more pics in order to disagree or agree one way or another, but I think that maybe with more pics others will see a mask hiden in that face.
Live what you love,
Love what you live
joesfish

Re: Frontosa ID

Postby Blue Zaire » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:15 am

after adding 2 more zaire today, finally the color and the zorror mask came out
Image[/img]
Blue Zaire

Postby Mr Mbuna » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:32 pm

Its not usual for the eye mask to extend right down the cheek in that way and that thick. Still not convinced myself - I think it might be a cross breed.
Mr Mbuna

Postby joesfish » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:50 pm

IMHO I think it's a common sign of stress in male Zaire's. How long have you had them? What tankmates you have together?
Live what you love,
Love what you live
joesfish

Postby Blue Zaire » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:38 pm

joesfish wrote:IMHO I think it's a common sign of stress in male Zaire's. How long have you had them? What tankmates you have together?

Hi bro joesfish, looks like i've got the answer. This picture above i ask for identification previously looks like a zambian. Below are the picture the 2nd price is this year Aquarama 2009 cichlid 2nd runner up is the same variant. and the picture of the zambian colony was extract from a hobbyuist in States.
Blue Zaire

Postby joesfish » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:15 pm

I can not see the pics to be able to identify any of them. To me the Zanbian look different than your fish. If we had better pics then we might be able to tell more. Like I had said earlier from your pics that it is to hard to make them out and that I can not agree or disagree with anyone until I see better pics. I still am not convinced that you have Zambain. I think you said that you put him in with some known Zaires and a mask came out and was more defined. I can't tell from the pic. If you put him in with these Zaires then he should look very simular to them, if not then you might have a crossbreed or a different variant.
Live what you love,
Love what you live
joesfish

Postby Blue Zaire » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:27 am

joesfish wrote:I can not see the pics to be able to identify any of them. To me the Zanbian look different than your fish. If we had better pics then we might be able to tell more. Like I had said earlier from your pics that it is to hard to make them out and that I can not agree or disagree with anyone until I see better pics. I still am not convinced that you have Zambain. I think you said that you put him in with some known Zaires and a mask came out and was more defined. I can't tell from the pic. If you put him in with these Zaires then he should look very simular to them, if not then you might have a crossbreed or a different variant.

Yes yes, haha zambain, zaire or etc, they are beautiful. I love them. Thank bro.
Blue Zaire

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species