Central American Cichlids • Electric Blue Convict?

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Electric Blue Convict?

Postby MonteSS » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm

This was soldto me a while ago from a LFS as an Electric Blue Convict. I would guess it a HRP/Convict hybrid but who knows. It's a female and very pretty either way.

Wonder if I bred her with a HRP or Con what the offspring would be. She currenly is paired with my female Centrarchus and lays eggs all the time.

.....Bill
75g CA- HRP x Con hybrid pair. Female Nicaraguense
46g Male Apistos and Angels
20g Apisto Borelli trio amf Agassizi Tefe orange pait
10g Apisto Trifasciata trio
MonteSS

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Trevor55 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Nice female. She does look like a HRP/Convict hybrid as you said. But she is a beaut!
Trevor55

Postby TheFishGuy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Looks like a normal convict to me... I've got plenty that are quite blue...
TheFishGuy

Postby MonteSS » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:47 pm

TheFishGuy wrote:Looks like a normal convict to me... I've got plenty that are quite blue...

Definitely not all con. Waaay too blue body and fins. Also no orange on the belly.

....Bill
MonteSS

Postby dwarfpike » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:52 pm

The last pic shows some orange on the belly, though can't be sure that it's not just reflective from the flash if used. But not all of the convict species show orange female bellies. I'd say it's a standard LFS convict, which will be a mix of 2-4 convict species.
dwarfpike

Postby Lancerlot » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:32 pm

Female con. There is orange on the belly.

just cause a fish isn't cookie cutter doesn't mean its not that fish. Cons can have many looks. But sometimes look different due to inbreeding or just bad breeding. Anyways that is a normal female convict cichlid.
Lancerlot

Postby MonteSS » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:46 pm

OK. Thanks for the input.

Why do people ask for advice/discussion and then dont use it? :x LOL

I guess it just wasn't the answer I wnted to hear.

Just that I have seen hundreds of pics of con and never saw anything even remotely as blue as this. Not even close.

I believe you all now though. I guess it's like how many varients of color there are in RD/Midas, Nics, etc.

Thanks again...Bill
Last edited by MonteSS on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MonteSS

Postby terd ferguson » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:51 pm

MonteSS wrote:OK. Thanks for the input.

Why do people ask for advice/discussion and then dont use it? :x LOL

I guess it just wasn't the answer I wnted to hear.

Just that I have seen hundreds of pics of con and never saw anything even remotely as blue as this. Not even close.

Thanks again...Bill

How about this?

Lol, just kidding. These are HRP's posted for comparison's sake. And for the record, I agree with TheFishGuy. I have plenty of Convicts with more blue than that.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's the way I am."- Homer J. Simpson

360g- 2 Jags, 2 Motas, 4 Loisellis, Dovii, 2 Parachromis sp. "la ceiba yellowhead", 3 Oscars, 4 Convicts, & 3 Synodontis

For Sale: magic water, pm me
terd ferguson

Postby gage » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:24 pm

I have never seen a guaranteed pure convict with this much blue... I vote HRPxCon (which is a majority of the LFS cons now anyways lol)
gage

Postby M0oN » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:13 am

Once upon a time convicts were all a lot more blue than that...inbreeding sucks. Buy wild caught and you'll see colors like that - if not better. :)
M0oN

Postby TheFishGuy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:52 am

Bill, I would be more than happy to tell you the secrete of my "electric blue" convicts.

I had a pink male (A) spawn with a grey female (B).

Their daughter (C) spawned with the pink male (A)

The ending result was this:

Male

Female

She has now spawned with a new male convict (D)

And one of their grey daughters (E) will be spawned back to the new male convict (D)

Incidently their spawn was 50/50 grey/pink. :)

Sorry to cause such a ruckus, but there's absolutely no way anyone could tell for sure if your convict has any HRP in it or not. DNA tests would be the ONLY way to know for sure. I've been accused of crossing HRP with my convicts to get the blue in them, but the fact is the original male and female (A,B) are a result of about 6-7 generations of pink and grey convicts that have been raised here. I've got a thing for convicts if you can't tell. While I do have HRPs here they are all too young to spawn. Actually I've got two variants of HRPs. Ones that in my eyes look exactly like convicts and ones that look nothing like convicts. They don't even act like convicts, so much so that if I tried to cross them my fear would be they would get killed... I always have convicts for raising live food for my other fish. They will be a fish that will always occupy atleat two or three tanks in the fish room.

Also! Daughter (C) who's getting up in age by the way, has a daughter who has just spawned with a viel tail convict. The fry have been free swimming for a week or so now... I can't wait to see how they turn out!

She's still in breeding dress but you can see some of her color in these pics. These were taken this morning right after the fishroom lights were turned on:

OMG, Sorry Bill... I didn't mean to take over :oops:
TheFishGuy

Postby Trevor55 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:50 am

Nice cons. i wanna get cons again sooooo bad. But all i have are a 29g, 24g tote and a few tens. thats enough for one good pair and fry tanks :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: I gotta get some cons.....
Trevor55

Postby M0oN » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:29 am

This old beast died after about 12 years roughly a year ago :(

Everyone and their mother accused it of being a hybrid.

M0oN

Postby Trevor55 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:20 pm

he doesnt look like a hybrid!
Trevor55

Postby dwarfpike » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:27 pm

As TFG said, without expensive DNA testing it's impossible to tell. Like the whole RD/Midas mess, most convicts found in the hobby are hybrids of one sort or another.

Moon - That was a nice A. kanna ... I suppose it could be a cross of kanna and nigrofasciatus as it's rare to see pure A. kannas ... but again, without testing ...

Beauty of a male kanna though!
dwarfpike

Next

Return to Central American Cichlids