Unidentified Cichlids • wild caught mbuna from Idaho

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

wild caught mbuna from Idaho

Postby dhaneyart » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:30 pm

I found these fish in a high desert spring in Idaho. Other fish in the spring included mozambiques (10"+), convicts (black and pink), guppies, swordtails, comets and one other species I couldn't identify.

I've posted on another forum and been told m. estherae, m. greshakei, m. callainos, c. afra and c. axelrodi. I'm sure the orange ones are 'red zebras'. I'm sure it's quite possible any or all of the fish are hybrids but??

The spring is about 25' x 60' x 3' deep avg. Where the water bubbles into the spring it's almost 90 degrees F. I'm sure the fish have been there many years. Probably 300+ of the africans I have pictured, 100 large mozambiques, 40 convicts. The stream that flows out of the pond has convicts, mozambiques, guppies and swordtails. I didn't seen any yellow or blue fish in the stream.
The shores of the pond are lined with juvenile yellow fish and grey/blue fish.

The closest town is about 50 miles away and has a population of 26 :)

I also just added a vid on youtube of the tank and fish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju690idAwmk

Thanks in advance for any input :)[/img]
dhaneyart

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Lancerlot » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Omg awesome find. Get some pictures of this spring for us lol
Lancerlot

Postby 007Rick » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Crazy... I wonder who left them there!
007Rick

Postby dhaneyart » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:18 pm

i had my camera with me but I was having so much fun i forgot all about taking pictures :fish:
dhaneyart

Postby Matt B. » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:05 pm

how did u catch these?....net?....fishing rod?.....that's a great find..... just swimming around in a random spring...............

you should go out there with a camera and videotape yourself catching these bad boys....that would be sweet :thumb:
Matt B.

Postby dhaneyart » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:41 pm

well I went to the spring with only the intention of catching a male convict because I had a frustrated female convict trying to spawn with all my darker colored koi (in a koi pond). None of the pet shops around here had any males and I knew this spring contained convicts. Once I got there I saw all these flourescent blue and yellow fish all over the place and thought hmmmmm. Couldnt leave w/o some of those. I had a net but the fish were far to smart and fast for that so I had a fishing rod for backup. Just used small piece of worm and a small barbless hook. Many of the fish were not even hooked but just clamped down on the worm so hard I could lift them from the water and after getting them in my hand they'd just open their mouth and the worm and hook popped out. None of the fish seemed put out and I took an AC converter and bubbler for the long ride home.
I did catch a male pink convict about 4-5" (he's a stud) and he's in the koi pond with the female for the summer. He's prolly 10x bigger than the female but they hit it off and have already spawned.
dhaneyart

Postby noki » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:01 pm

Look like all hybrids. Red Zebras and other barred Zebra type fish in the mix. And maybe something else, a more elongate fish.

If you ever go back make sure to take some pics!
noki

Postby Lancerlot » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:10 pm

noki wrote:Look like all hybrids. Red Zebras and other barred Zebra type fish in the mix. And maybe something else, a more elongate fish.

If you ever go back make sure to take some pics!

hybrids or not. They have the most amazing color I've seen in a long time.
Lancerlot

Postby dhaneyart » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:55 pm

here's some more pics
The first three are the tank bosses right, middle and left
the rest are just random

dhaneyart

Postby noki » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:17 pm

You caught all these 3-4" ish fish with a worm on a hook? :lol: :lol: :lol: I would have thought you would have been lucky to catch just one. You must be good.

The 3rd fish looks superficially like C. axelrodi but that is doubtful true. The "Zebras" have funny mouths, look more like a Pseudotropheus mix than just pure Metriaclima.
noki

Postby dhaneyart » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:56 am

there are so many fish in there I was using a piece of worm about 1/4" long and the instant it hit the water there would be 20-30 fish swarming for it. The mbuna type are about 90% blue, 9% yellow/orange and 1% beautiful white with blue fins (couldnt catch any of those)
dhaneyart

Postby dhaneyart » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:31 am

you think I'm telling fish stories???

Unfortunately the spring is about 2 1/2 hours from my house or I'd have already gone back.

I did keep 3 mozambiques that I'm going to take back one of these days and when I go I'll take pictures. Even the stream exiting the spring pond is full of convicts, mozambiques, swordtails, fancy guppies and a fish that looked like a small bronze comet but???

Here's pics of 2 of the mozambiques:

and here's a video of the mbuna swimming around my koi pond while I was preparing a tank for them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQD3jMyqk6A

I'm taking snorkel gear next time I go =D>
dhaneyart

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:20 am

The location is Barney Hot Springs. If you check government (USGS) you will find some of these cichlids listed as non-indigenous species for this location.
Fogelhund

Postby Diaster » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:33 am

Where did you hook them? I am not seeing anywhere that a hook might have gone into the skin gets jet black on almost all fish.
Stay away from the voodoo
Diaster

Postby dhaneyart » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:35 am

they were all caught with a tiny barbless hook in the mouth. They would basically inhale the bait. The whole process of catching one, removing the hook, and placing them in my collection bucket was about 5 sec.
dhaneyart

Next

Return to Unidentified Cichlids