Equipment & Supplies • best filter for water polishing

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

best filter for water polishing

Postby illusions2281 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:29 pm

I have an 85 hex tank and a eheim pro 3e 2078. but i also have roommate that tends to way over feed flake food. I just made the switch to pellets. so we'll see if that helps. with water clearity. My current filter does great dealing with the bio-load. Its been 6 weeks and all levels are low.

but i have been thinking about getting a second filter just to polish the water to make it clearer and increase circulation. Does anyone have any suggestions?
85 Gal Hex
4 lab cichlids
1 Elongatus
1 Red Devil
1 Auratus
2 Dafodil
2 Rusty
2 Bumble Bee
1 Convict
2 Livingstony
1 Danios
2 Clown loachs
2 plecos, 1 Bn, 1 com.
illusions2281

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby edouthirt » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Are you using carbon in your filter? If so, it might be time to change it out. If not, you could try adding carbon for a month.

I use carbon every couple of months just to clear up the water a bit, but you don't have to over do it.

But to answer your basic question, I use 2 marineland c-360 canisters on my 60 gallon tank, and with intermitten usage of carbon, my water stays crystal clear.
60 gal mbuna
29 gal brichardi
10 gal hospital

Go Rays!!!
edouthirt

Postby clgkag » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:32 pm

You could also get a H.O.T. Magnum with the polishing cartridge. You can just hang it on the tank every couple of weeks for however long it takes to polish the water.
clgkag

Postby Fishbulb2 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:17 pm

Hoenstly, the best polishing filters of all are the Vortex diatom filters. Diatom filters can be a pain and most aren't for continuous duty. However, they really will give you incredible results.

FB
Fishbulb2

Postby JALOOS » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:07 pm

I have a whole house filter like this

with a pump and I use it continuous on my 150 gallon for polishing. You can then buy various micron size cartiges for it. Works like a hot dam and for 25 bucks or less for the housing how can you go wrong, Beats the #%$& out of a Magnum H.O.T. filter for price and efficiency.
150 Gallon Community
75 Gallon Malawi
55 Gallon Red Parrot and Oscar
JALOOS

Postby Fishbulb2 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:06 pm

What kind of pump do you use for that jaloos. It's basically an RO canister but those are usually run at 65 psi. I always wanted to try what you're doing but never that a typical pump would work.
Fishbulb2

Postby JALOOS » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:00 pm

Fishbulb2 wrote:What kind of pump do you use for that jaloos. It's basically an RO canister but those are usually run at 65 psi. I always wanted to try what you're doing but never that a typical pump would work.

Its a whole house filter available at most hardware stores for 25 bucks or less. You can get an assortment of different filters from 1 to 35 micron in size as well as carbon filters. You don't need a super poweful pump as you are not using a RO membrane, I use a rio 2100 plummed into a line that comes out of the tank to the filter then back in. If you look you can find a 1 micron filter that is basically cord wrapped around a core, when used up I took the cord off the core now I wrap it with the fiber fil from walmart. Works great and if you need to use charcoal you can get the carbom filters for it and for extra cleaning the 1 micron (although they do not last long b4 plugging up).
150 Gallon Community
75 Gallon Malawi
JALOOS

Postby Fishbulb2 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:25 pm

Sounds incredible. i will try this on my next set up for sure. I need to look for a used RO filter system on Craigslist that I can cannibalize. Thanks for the tip.
Fishbulb2

Postby JALOOS » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:59 am

Fishbulb2 wrote:Sounds incredible. i will try this on my next set up for sure. I need to look for a used RO filter system on Craigslist that I can cannibalize. Thanks for the tip.

Nooo no need for the RO to canibalize go to hardware store and they have the housings and cartriges cheap.
150 Gallon Community
75 Gallon Malawi
JALOOS

Postby natalie559 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:24 pm

What media do you use in your current filter? You could try adding quilt batting to polish the water. I run an emperor 400 in addition to my canister filter for extra mechanical. You can also try pre measuring the fish food into daily pill containers and hiding the extra food from your room mate so that the fish aren't overfed.
Natalie

So many fish, so little time. . .
natalie559

Postby greg curtis » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:10 am

Try putting some Purigen in a media bag. I use it in all my tanks and it keeps them crystal clear.
Greg
Marineland C360
Marineland Emperor 400
greg curtis

Postby JALOOS » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:54 am

greg curtis wrote:Try putting some Purigen in a media bag. I use it in all my tanks and it keeps them crystal clear.

Kent organic absorption resin works wonders as well, Purigen is re charged with bleach solution isn't it? Kent organic absorbtion resin recharges with a brine (heavily salted water) solution.
150 Gallon Community
75 Gallon Malawi
JALOOS

Postby demonsoni » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:06 am

Use a powerhead and stick some batting/floss/sponge around the intake. This works like a beast and most people dont need to buy anything to do it.
:fish: :fish:
demonsoni

Postby parkayandbutter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:26 pm

Well Vortex Diatom filters are a pain in the Arsce indeed, but they are very much functional to the point of 1 hour your aquarium water will go from a yellow hue to a clear hue guaranteed! I wouldn't run it continuously due to them needing to be flushed out every 3rd day or so. Really it works the best in my experience. You can get diatom at a pool place in bulk for something like 5 yrs supply for $15 rather then spend 15 bucks for 10 uses by Vortex replacement diatom.
parkayandbutter

Postby kodyboy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:16 am

Diatom filters are a pain, but they do make the water sparkling clean in a hurry!
For a more long-term solution I like canister filters with lots of floss/pads in them like the marineland C series and the rena XP line.
kodyboy

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies