Lake Tanganyika Species • Zebra Nerite (Zebra Snail) -- Algae eater

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Zebra Nerite (Zebra Snail) -- Algae eater

Postby elipsius » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:52 pm

Does anyone know where I can find this snail in the MD area?
http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/189/

I'm looking at getting some for my Tang tank to help take care of my algae and they can handle the High PH and are at least from the same continent as the lakes are. I do not want to use a Bristle Nose pleco.
elipsius

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Razzo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:48 pm

What about Chaetostoma Thomsoni (bulldog or rubbernose pleco). I have been told they will eat brown algae too.
Recovering frontosa breeder (I have had a relapse)
Razzo

Postby elipsius » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:40 am

Yeah probably will work, but not from Africa, I might consider something else if it was from the lake or at least from the continent, trying to keep my tank close to bio-type as I can. I would let the snails slide even though they are not from the lake. Plus these guys look cool, and I like snails, I'm also trying to find a online seller of them as well, I found a whole sale location but would have to buy 7 boxes of fish/etc from them and I can't do that, then I found a guy who sells them online from Florida but heard bad reports about his business practices so I not going to go with him plus he over charges for them.
elipsius

Postby Razzo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:12 pm

elipsius wrote:Yeah probably will work, but not from Africa, I might consider something else if it was from the lake or at least from the continent, trying to keep my tank close to bio-type as I can. I would let the snails slide even though they are not from the lake. Plus these guys look cool, and I like snails, I'm also trying to find a online seller of them as well, I found a whole sale location but would have to buy 7 boxes of fish/etc from them and I can't do that, then I found a guy who sells them online from Florida but heard bad reports about his business practices so I not going to go with him plus he over charges for them.

Please keep me posted. I may follow in your footprints.

Thanks,
Russ
Recovering frontosa breeder (I have had a relapse)
Razzo

Postby elipsius » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:54 pm

Ok will do, I e-mailed the guys at That Fish Place in PA and he has also been looking for them from a reputable wholesaler, so I sent them the links to the ones I found. I'm also keeping my eyes open at some of the LFS in my area, there are 3 pretty good ones with in 1/2 hr or so from me and I have only really checked out one, I am going to start calling the others before I make a drive.

lol what I should do is just buy 7 boxes of them from the wholesaler then sell off what I don't want :-)
elipsius

Postby fmueller » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:04 pm

This is going to be of no help to you, but I just happened to have been in Germany for X-mas, and saw the snails there for sale in several pet stores. They caught my eye, since I had never seen them before. Maybe I should have brought some back! The only thing US custom seems to be concerned about these days is 'meat and fish', and I am not sure a snail would qualify as either :lol:

Frank
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby MP Aqua » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:14 am

The site http://www.azgardens.com/ has a zebra variety nerite snail listed but I don't know if this fact is going to be helpful or not because in the picture they don't look the same as the one in the pictures of the link you provided above.
MP Aqua

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:15 am

I think the one at AZ Gardens is a nerite but is not a zebra nerite...I think it is an olive nerite. I've also tried to get them in the US and been unsuccessful. I assumed they really were not imported. I haunted ebay and aquabid for a while and even posted a "wanted" ad but nothing. Yet on occasion I hear of someone with them here.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby 24Tropheus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:33 am

Funny they or something like them is available here in the UK. Find it hard to believe we have something you guys struggle for. It is so often the other way round.
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... cts_id=850
I just googled Zebra Nerite Snail perhaps just the common name will give you more results? :-?
24Tropheus

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:18 pm

Oh they are very common. For some reason they are not imported very much here. Even Canada has them all over the place!
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Longstocking » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:57 am

Someone in PA gets them in all the time. She is currently out though. Pm me if you want info. We will all bomb bard her :lol:

Very reasonable on price and shipping. Only to the US :)
Last edited by Longstocking on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Longstocking

Postby Longstocking » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:37 pm

She is getting some in at the start of Feb :)
Longstocking

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:40 pm

She thinks most vendors don't want to acclimate them to freshwater (in case they were originally caught in brackish or even borderline marine).
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Longstocking » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:50 pm

yeah.... but I have faith. She's got them in before :)
Longstocking

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:51 pm

No, I meant her competitors are not willing to bother with the acclimitization...but she is willing. :thumb:
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species