South American Cichlids • Australoheros red ceibal breeding :)

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Australoheros red ceibal breeding :)

Postby CHK » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:07 am

About 2 months ago I found that my LFS carried some gymnos and australoheros. I strongly suspect they are from the Spencer Jack collection. Anyhow, as I have luck before breeding another species of the australoheros I decided to get some "red ceibal"s to try out. There were only 3 left in the tank when I found them, so I took the gamble and bought the largest and smallest of the three.

So you can imagine my glee when after 2 months, they managed to pair up and I found my gymnos chased to the corners of the tank. :D I took the gymnos out and gave the tank to the pair and eggs followed. They are still on the small side, about 2 inches. Here are some pics:

I find the "red ceibal"s very distinct from the australoheros "oblongum"s that I already have. As the name implies, the "red ceibal"'s base colour is a burnt olive orange, while the "oblongum"s have a more yellowish base colour but the presence of spangles give the fish a bluish hue. I want to see if I can keep the 2 species together - the display would look really nice. :) Also, the eyes of the oblongums seem to be proportionately larger. For reference, this was the picture of my breeding female "oblongum".

Thanks for looking!

CHK
Bunch of small tanks at the moment, includes some africans and SA
CHK

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Dutch Dude » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:59 am

CHK,...realy gorgeous fish :thumb: They are true stunning fish in their breeding colors and congrats on the spawn :thumb: Seems like quit a challenge to give them the cool period in your part of the world isn't it? Keep on the good work and nice to see the Uruguayan fish increase in popularity :thumb:

Ruurd
Dutch Dude

Postby madzarembski » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:31 am

They are gorgeous fish. Having just restarted fish keeping this last year after a long hiatus, I don't recognize them. Did they have a diferent name in the 80's & 90's? Can you share anything about them regarding care? I take is they need a cool season? Tanks size? Just Stunning
madzarembski
madzarembski

Postby nothing else matter » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:57 am

very very nice. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
so close no matter how far...........
nothing else matter

Postby Howler33 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Nice pics CHK. What size tank is that and how did the Gymnos get on with the Australoheros? I have always thought the Australoheros would be too aggresive for Gymnogeos in anything smaller than a 6' tank.
Howler33

Postby CHK » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:29 pm

Thanks for your comments guys!

Ruurd: Also want to add that your comments in the past have helped me understand how to better keep these fish and contributed to the successful spawn :thumb: Yes, I think there has a surge in Uruguayan cichlids too, no doubt to their recent availability. I am still working on the "cool period". Frankly, I think it will be until I eventually move out of this apartment that I can satisfy myself and the fish fully on this point. :?

mazdarembski: A friend of mine who runs an LFS and has 40yrs of fish under his belt told me that these fish were loosely called chanchitos in the past. It seems they enjoyed popularity up to the 1940s or 50s. After that, due to lack of imports from the region, they were "lost" to the hobby so to speak. He showed me his fish books from the 1950s and the chanchito was represented. I believe in the 80s and 90s they may be found under "Cichlasoma" facetum or even Herichthys facetum as I found in an Axelrod atlas at Borders a month ago... As to their upkeep, I refer to these excellent articles by Wayne Leibel:
http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwater-a ... chito.aspx
and Claudia Dickenson:
http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=371
From what I gathered, the Uruguayn cichlids will do well with 2-3 months at perhaps 50F or so. I am not able to go that low at this time. They are in a 20H, and at 2 inches, suits them just fine but the eventual goal is to move them into the 55 once I get the juvie growouts out of there :D

Howler33: I do not know the compatability of australoheros and gymnos as these are still very young adults.... I have been told it wouldnt work. I may still try, keeping a careful eye but keeping a spare tank should I see anything wrong.

I am sure there many more hobbyists with their own australoheros. Feel free to post your pics too :thumb: . Looking forward to your pics! :popcorn:

CHK
CHK

Postby edburress » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:32 pm

Very nice CHK! The breeding colors are very nice, defninitely the nicest Australoheros species IMO. Good luck and keep updating with details and pictures :thumb:

Ed
edburress

Postby SinisterKisses » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:42 pm

OMG...I think I NEED some of those fish! Absolutely STUNNING.
SinisterKisses

Postby skwestle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:51 pm

I got 11 Red Ceibals from Spencer Jack Two months at 1" now they are 2" I have two pairs and about 20 fry swimming around. I really like the color on them.

Alaina would you like some?

Heres a pic

skwestle

Postby skwestle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:53 pm

skwestle

Postby SinisterKisses » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:57 pm

OMG Yes, yes I would!
SinisterKisses

Postby CHK » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:21 am

skwestle wrote:I got 11 Red Ceibals from Spencer Jack Two months at 1" now they are 2" I have two pairs and about 20 fry swimming around. I really like the color on them.

Alaina would you like some?

Heres a pic

Congrats on your spawn! :thumb:
CHK

Postby Vincent » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:14 pm

Congratulations!

I still have the 'oblongum' fry I got from you several months ago and they're doing well.
Vincent

Postby CHK » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:21 pm

Vincent wrote:Congratulations!

I still have the 'oblongum' fry I got from you several months ago and they're doing well.

Thats great! Thanks for the update :thumb: My juvies from the same batch are beginning to pair up. I see the breeding tube drop already but no clutches probably because there are too many of them :roll: - have to thin them out first.
CHK

Postby toddnbecka » Wed May 13, 2009 1:47 am

What's the current situation with the red c's? Did the pair continue spawning after the first brood? Will you have any juvies available?
I recently moved my spawning pair of oblongum to a 55 to allow some of their last brood and some BN fry to grow out. Soon after they were moved I saw a huge increase in the ramshorn population. BN fry too for that matter, I now have well over 150 instead of just 1. As soon as I get the current fry moved into another tank for growout I'll likely return the oblongum pair to the tank for population control.
I did find 3 fry each from their 2 previous spawns that had managed to survive on their own. They are excellent parents up to a point, then their protective instinct seems to fade away. It does appear to last longer with each successive spawn. They're both still in breeding dress, weeks after being moved to a different tank.
toddnbecka

Next

Return to South American Cichlids