Aquarium Setup • 400 Gallon Wild Tanganyika Tank Setup + Back to Nature

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

400 Gallon Wild Tanganyika Tank Setup + Back to Nature

Postby Ssssssspit_Fire » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:30 pm

Hey guys
I believe some of you remember my tank preparations from about 2.5 years ago

for those who don't, http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... hlight=400

My Ps. saulosi tank continued for about a year later
that's the way it looked:

After a few months later I decided I'm sick of saulosis (I'm the first person who brought them to Israel)
And I decided I want to make me a big variety of all the cichlids I like (mostly malawi)
I ended up with a 60 species aquarium, some of them rare, some special, some didn't even exist in my country and some very common but I like very much.
Here is a picture of that tank:

That tank was working till 3 months ago.

And here out latest story begins

For over a year now I was interesting in the Back To Nature backgrounds and modules
It's a swedish company that manufactures the most vivid and natural looking backgrounds and modules for aquariums. I've seen breathtaking aquariums that contain those backgrounds.
I've done some research and I found out that no one in Israel has a back to nature background.
I decided I want one for my tank.
Here are the 2 tanks that inspired me the most:

Then, I started looking for ways to make a DIY background for my tank, eventually I gave up and went looking for real aquarium backgrounds.
I went over several companies, but BTN's backgrounds were the best looking!
So, what do I do to get the background to my house back in Israel? I found out that the biggest piece of background they make is 200X60 (cm) while my tank is 260X80 so I goota figure out how I'm gonna hide those 20 cm between the background and the glass and to glue together another piece of 60cm in the width.
I decided due to all of that I want to choose with my own eyes (because there are several series of BTN and many color of each series) so I decided I;m going to the distributer in germany (the biggest in europe)
in 1 week from the day of the decision the next pictures were taken:

Yup, I went to germany and not for vecation, I've benn there for about 2.5 days.
Also, I am during my military service (I'm 19 years old) in the IDF (Israel's defense force - Israel's army) and went without permission while risking severe punishment.
I landed in Berlin, and the distributer is located in a small town called Lauenau about 350 km from Berlin. So I took a high speed train to a city called Hannover and from the train station the distributor (a charming man named Helmutt) offered to pick me up (a 25 mintues drive each direction)
I got there and saw some very nice aquariums:

And here are the colors of the malawi and tanganyika series

Because my tanks is 260cm so I took 2 pieces of 200cm background
and 8 modules aswell
everything was wrapped up in a huge carton

Now, how on earth am I going to get that thing back home?!?!
I decided to take it with me back home
The nice man, Helmutt took me back to the Hannover train station and we walked in like two commplete idiots with this huge package inside the stations. We arrived the platform and the platform manager told us we can't get this onboard, we tried convincing him but he said it's not possible, so, eventually I took a slow (but big) train back to berlin that could fit my package.
When I got to berlin I took another train to my hotel. (Think of all the people that helped me carry this thing out and in of different vehicles)
The next day I took a taxi van to the airport and when I got to the airport people looked at me like I was of outer space wondering off with the huge package. At the check in counter I was told I have to go to the heavy cargo area.
In the heavy cargo area I was told they could not fit this pacakge in the plane because there is not enough room (small plane) and I will have to leave my package in berlin. Then a 50 euro bill was slipped into the guy's pocket and the package was on the plane :)
When I got home friends picked me up and we tied the monster on the top of the car.
the next day I arrived to my base, where they held me a military trial and I only got a warning :)

the backgrounds and modules in my house:

I decied I want to make an aquarium with only wild fish, all F0, WC!
knowing the instalation will not be easy at all due to my tank's big dimensions I decided to call in a proffesional with building glass aquariums, his name is Shimon

before Shimon arrived I cleaned my tank from water and gravel leftovers and also my sump.

that's me finishing picking up all the gravel

The first big problem we had to face is taking out one of the glass stabilizators on the top of the tank in order to get the background inside, it took Shimon 2.5 hours and 15 knife razors haha.

I made a suggestion of building these "tables" for the background to be sitting on:

on the top of the background I decided to insert some glass pieces in order to affix in place and then silicone the whole thing:

Shimon cutting the second piece (60 cm)

first module in place

I added 10 pots for extra hiding places, pots were glued

The, Shimon told me about a problem I didn't realise before; I wanted to put 4 modules not in their specified way, I didn't think it's much of a problem because I've seen some aquariums with those modules standing in the way I wanted it to look like. We came up with a creative solution, glueing rocks to the inside of the modules and blasting it with silicone (we used only for this purpose 16 tubes of aquarium silicone). In 1 module we glues pieces of glass.

afterwards I wanted to hide the second overflow box (on the left side) so I decided to glue a big module to the top of tank, the only thing is that the module base is 60 cm while the left stabilizator is 20 cm. so we glued another 40 cm glass piece and the we glues the module.

and it's done

stabilizator back in place

הוספתי את התאורה (לאחר התמונה שמתי את הרפלקטורים)

lights (reflectors came on after the picture was taken)

also, a 23 pound (10 k) of filterwool

Cichlid diet:

my big sump (not all of it is shown)

stocking as planned(reminding you that all fish are wild caught):

5. C. gibberosa (Moba) (Zaire Blue)
5. C gibberosa (Samazi) (Blue Bismark)
11. A. calvus (black)
11. A. calvus (white)
11. A. compressiceps (Orange)
10. J, regani (Kipili)
11. T. moorii (Mpulungu)
12. T. sp. "Ikola" (Ikola)
11. T. sp. "Red" (Chimba)
6. T. brichardi (Mpimbwe)
1. P. trewavasae
1. B. tricoti
10. N. leleupi
**Also, in a few days:
2. O. nasuta (Orange)
2. E. kilesa
2. E. cyanostictus (Kasanga)

I arrived to the wild tanganyika fish farm
here are some shots:

Here are 35 bags of all the fish

2 weeks has passed and I called a friend and an Israeli cichlid expert, Dr. Chaim Shohat, who is also an amzing photographer, the man came in with a Cannon D70, and a Cannon EOS Mark 3(!!), also with several lenses and 2 tripods and and 2 automated from a distances flashes

Final shots:

(Click for larger view, highly recommended)

On the right, blue bismark and on the left is moba

Blue bismark

Moba

black calvus

white calvus

comp

mpulungu

ikola

mpimbwe

chimba

leleupi

regani kipili

petro

notice the small teeth

bunch

eating

and here are a few photographes from my camera (haha)

tricoti

leleupi

Also, a video

(small screen is recommended due to low quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNnxampVoe8

400 Gallon tank

260x80x70 (cm)

512 Watts of lighting

350 litre sump

11 watt UV

600 watt jager (heating)
Hope you enjoyed it!
Spit_Fire.
Ssssssspit_Fire

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby TrashmanNYC » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:43 pm

ImageImageImage
Robb
125G All Male Peacock/Hap, Syno Multis, Syno Angelicus
125G Rusties, Clown Labs, P. Salousi, Syno Multis, Yo-Yo Loaches
55G SA Koi Angels, Marble Angels, Serpae Tetras, Bolivian Rams, Panda Corys
55G Quarantine/Holding/Grow-out
30G Fry/Juvie Grow-out
TrashmanNYC

Postby D-007 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Sorry, but I find the story behind getting the background is pill that's too big to swallow.

However, the tank and the occupants look nice.
D-007

Postby Ssssssspit_Fire » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:12 pm

D-007 wrote:Sorry, but I find the story behind getting the background is pill that's too big to swallow.

However, the tank and the occupants look nice.

Are you saying that I'm lying?
Ssssssspit_Fire

Postby D-007 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:18 pm

Well it is a bit hard to believe that you can just go AWOL at such short notice, you just happen to have the cash to spend on an airplane ticket, you were able to bribe an airport official to let your package get onto the airplane and then your military superiors just give you a slap on the hand as punishment. So you tell me.
D-007

Postby Ssssssspit_Fire » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:27 pm

D-007 wrote:Well it is a bit hard to believe that you can just go AWOL at such short notice, you just happen to have the cash to spend on an airplane ticket, you were able to bribe an airport official to let your package get onto the airplane and then your military superiors just give you a slap on the hand as punishment. So you tell me.

first of all, I don't need your approval for my sayings
second, yes I have the cash, I don't need to let you or anybody else know how I have it or when...
third the "airport official" is only a guy working in the large cargo zone, barely speaks english, I wouldn't call him official.
and fourth about the army, they didn't know I was out of the country, and I also went on the weekend so they think I was absent for only one day.

listen, I don't need you coming here and saying infront of everyone that I'm lying just to make the story look nice, too bad this forum doesn't allow swearing.
and if afterall you still think I am, please, don't click my posts anymore.
thank you agent double O 7
Ssssssspit_Fire

Postby D-007 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:52 pm

:lol: .

Firstly, I never said you were lying, I said I didn't believe it - that's my choice and my observation. If you did the whole trip to and from Germany, then good for you. A simple 'yes I did do it but you don't have to believe me if you don't want to' would have ended up with an apology from me - but not now.

I'd have thought you'd be more concerned with comments about your efforts on the tank setup and it's occupants, which I might add is very well done and can be an inspiration to others, instead of getting all bent out of shape about whether someone believes your trip or not. What do you want people to focus on here, the trip or the tank.

As for the swearing comment, well it takes a mature person to NOT swear ... but you did mention you are only 19.

And no worries, this will be my last post in your thread as there are better people with better manners on this forum.
D-007

Postby Ssssssspit_Fire » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:01 am

D-007 wrote: :lol: .

Firstly, I never said you were lying, I said I didn't believe it - that's my choice and my observation. If you did the whole trip to and from Germany, then good for you. A simple 'yes I did do it but you don't have to believe me if you don't want to' would have ended up with an apology from me - but not now.

I'd have thought you'd be more concerned with comments about your efforts on the tank setup and it's occupants, which I might add is very well done and can be an inspiration to others, instead of getting all bent out of shape about whether someone believes your trip or not. What do you want people to focus on here, the trip or the tank.

As for the swearing comment, well it takes a mature person to NOT swear ... but you did mention you are only 19.

And no worries, this will be my last post in your thread as there are better people with better manners on this forum.

That's good to hear :fish:
Ssssssspit_Fire

Postby cichlids _killer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:23 am

i dont give a darn how and what you do ..but that one nice looking tank ...i really love the background and the stock list . :o :o :o :o
I CANT SPELL SO DEAL WITH IT
***CK***

90 gallon mbuna
180 gallon plants tank with discuss
cichlids _killer

Postby khaki » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:35 am

Ssssssspit_Fire

awesome tank!
I believe you. You have pics to prove it. If you are LYING and i am saying your not, these are great pics! :thumb:

Some people expresses their opinions differently.
khaki

Postby JBGC » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:57 am

Wow, awesome post great effort! :thumb:

I can only dream of picking out wild caught fish for such an impressive tank setup.

As for the post by D007 , dont think that response was required.. a comment on the tank and the job done would have been much more appreciated.
JBGC

Postby Hubbynz » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:15 am

I admire someone who goes through such lengths to follow their passion.

Amazing looking tank and fish.
Hubbynz

Postby KoenEeckhoudt » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:26 am

Very nice.
KoenEeckhoudt

Postby Rockydog » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:32 am

Yes, that's an awesome adventure. Congratulations on your choice and all the hard work. You've done an absolutely beautiful job :drooling:
Rockydog

Postby iceblue » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:01 am

Your time, effort, and stick to it attitude have paid off handsomely. Glad to hear your superiors went easy on you. I'm sure your a resourceful and valuable member to the team.

Your tank is awesome and I look forward to more pictures as the tank matures. :thumb:
"Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?"
"Alright, but stop me at one........make that one-thirty."
iceblue

Next

Return to Aquarium Setup