Lake Tanganyika Species • How long before release

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderator: triscuit

How long before release

Postby Frontlover » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:15 pm

Hey guys,

Have two Ilangi holding, 1 24 days and 1 26 days. How long will they hold before they release? I have 11 in a 100 gallon, just need to know if I'll need to strip. No camera yet so no photos. Thanks in advance for your replies. :thumb:
Suround yourself with what you love, whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plant, hobbies, fronts. Your home is your refuge, and the Lord makes all things possible for those who believe on his name. Member of the ACA
Frontlover

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby IrkedCitizen » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:11 pm

They hold anywhere from 30-34 days roughly. Sometimes a little longer depending on the female.

What is your rock work like?
IrkedCitizen

Postby Frontlover » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:06 pm

IrkedCitizen wrote:They hold anywhere from 30-34 days roughly. Sometimes a little longer depending on the female.

What is your rock work like?

Thanks Irked,

I have a rock pile at one end of the tank, should be enough to hide the fry if they are released in the tank. I hope!! :oops:
Suround yourself with what you love, whether it's family, pets, keepsakes, music, plant, hobbies, fronts. Your home is your refuge, and the Lord makes all things possible for those who believe on his name. Member of the ACA
Frontlover

Postby punman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:11 am

I strip mine at 21 days and they are free- swimming at that point.
135 Gallon: Cyrtocara moorii, Labidochromis caeruleus
90 Gallon: Turquoise Discus, Skunk Corydoras, Cardinal Tetras
90 Gallon: Yellow Lab grow-out tank
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby Frontlover » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:05 am

Ok guys, it's going on 36 days now. I see two fry hiding in the top corner of the tank, but the moms still looks like they are holding. Should I go ahead and strip to see? I have an empty 55 running should I move whatever fry I find? There is a big rock pile at one end of the tank. As always thanks in advance for the advice.
Frontlover

Postby Frontlover » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:43 am

I just strip the moms, went to feed and saw a male swallow one of the fry :o that down from the corner. I Thought that Tropheus did not eat the fry :oops: Any way I got 7 little guys in a breeding basket in the tank and one hiding in the rocks. I hope to find it when I do my water change on the weekend. I'll let you know if the male spit the fry back out, but he sure looked like he ate it :-? Has any one else had this happen :?
Frontlover

Postby 24Tropheus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:12 pm

At 36 days then strip for the health of the female to try again. (Even I would :wink: ) Fry will starve if kept in or gathered in against their will for too long. I would prefer giving the female conditions where she is happy to let them feed and look after them but nothing is perfect. I would not strip before 32 days. I would prefer to lose the young for the good of the line.
28-32 days is not too long for many mothers.

Good luck not sure you need it you seem to be on top of things for quality breeding without giving up on preserving the looking after the young these cichlids can have.

If you want max production then strip and tumble at about 14-21 days but then we all know what that leads to?

By the way you can still feed the female while brooding so she does not lose condition too fast.
(Just in case you did not know these guys are different to Mbuna)
24Tropheus

Postby 24Tropheus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:42 pm

Yep seen many a male chew a fry and spit it out.

Not all fry make it using more "natural" methods of fry rearing (I guess its just part of the selection process).
24Tropheus

Postby Frontlover » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:08 pm

24, Not too sure the male spit the fry back out. I don't see it. Do you raise your fry in the tank with your colony or do you move them? I found 2 more fry now there are 9 little guys in that breeding basket in the main tank. Not sure if I should release them back in the main tank or try and grow them out in a empty 55 I have running :lol:
Frontlover

Postby NorthShore » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:45 pm

If you release them and they end up in a male's territory, he may very well kill them. They are quite vulnerable for the first couple of weeks. I'd raise them elsewhere if you have the tank space.
NorthShore

Postby 24Tropheus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:15 pm

In the 200g, tend to leave them to fend for themselves. In the 100g, tend to use brooding tanks. But it kind of depends on how capable I think the individual female is of looking after herself (big females can hold territories even when/sometimes especially when brooding those ones tend to get left in the main tank) and the young as well.
24Tropheus

Postby mobas4-life » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:31 am

id def. raise them in their own tank,but thats just me. :)
mobas4-life

Postby Frontlover » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:02 am

Thanks for all the help guys :thumb: I think I am going to leave them in the breeding basket until the end of the week and then move them to the 55 gallon. Do I need to put sand in it or will bear bottom be ok :-? Thanks again for all the input.
Frontlover

Postby fiupntballr » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:02 pm

Bare bottom will be fine for them.
fiupntballr

Postby Frontlover » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:35 am

Happy New Year guys!!!

I have 12 fry in a 55 little over an inch now, what is a good size to place them back into the main tank?

Frontlover

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species