General Aquaria Discussion • --can fish aquarium cause allergies??

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

--can fish aquarium cause allergies??

Postby mralexx » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:26 am

i have asthma but for the most part it's not bad but i get sick 4-5 times a year with mostly a bad cough.....only things that bug me are dust but then i notice on my tank, theres a crusty white flaky substance that grows on the top and around the top....i have to wipe it off every few days, anyone know what that is? I wonder if it has to do with the filter and was thinking about switching to a different type of filter, maybe one of those bottom style ones other then the top ones i have.

But can tanks cause allergies?
mralexx

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby heylady » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:08 am

The white crusty stuff you see are hard water deposits.
As far as allergies, from the tank itself I rather doubt it but if you have a really large tank or several tanks I could see how the extra moisture in the air from evaporation could cause mold to grow which could trigger asthma/allergies. That's why it's a good idea to run a de-humidifier if you have large amounts of water evaporating in your home.

:)

50g 1 red oscar
heylady

Postby mralexx » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:02 pm

heylady wrote:The white crusty stuff you see are hard water deposits.
As far as allergies, from the tank itself I rather doubt it but if you have a really large tank or several tanks I could see how the extra moisture in the air from evaporation could cause mold to grow which could trigger asthma/allergies. That's why it's a good idea to run a de-humidifier if you have large amounts of water evaporating in your home.

anything to do about the hard water deposits?
mralexx

Postby Marduk » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:52 pm

mralexx wrote:
heylady wrote:The white crusty stuff you see are hard water deposits.

anything to do about the hard water deposits?

I agree it could just be mildew/mold growing around the rooms where the tanks are from the higher humidity.

The hard water deposits is just salts and calcium and stuff. It gets there by water splashing or from water vapor from the tanks. Basically, it's like when you boil water with salt dissolved in it. After all the water is evaporated you are left with just the salt. The same thing happens over time with tank water but instead of just salt crystals it is calcium and small amounts of salt.

~Ed
Marduk

Postby bones06 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:20 am

The salt deposits will not do any harm to you. Remember alot of people with allergies use a saline soulution to flush out their sinuses. On the other hand if you have a large tank or multiples you should have a dehumidifier going as heylady suggested. Mold is one of the worst asthma/allergy triggers out there besides smoke.
bones06

Postby xalow » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:52 pm

Also people can be allergic to fish foods like blood worms or foods that have shell fish in them but this likely wont cause airborne allergies. As far as mold goes you can check under the hood of the tank or filters for any area that has decaying food that is accumulating mold spore.
xalow

Postby Peach » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:19 am

I have asthma too and I asked my family doctor (who is a family member, so I trust his judgement) before I got my fish and he said it would be alright to get fish. Only not to have it in my room where I sleep because if you allow a lot of algae to grow in the tank then it might have similar effects as mold would. But if you have a covered top on the aquarium it should be ok. I'm a happy fish owner of a few fish IN THE LIVING ROOM, lol! :wink:
Peach

Postby CoolCichlid » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:07 am

I didn't know that we can get allergies from tanks.... :x
CoolCichlid

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:29 am

As long as you keep the tank free of mold (I have never had mold) you should be good allergy-wise. It also depends what you are allergic to. The tank will not cause the allergy, but if you have mold and are allergic to mold already it could trigger a reaction.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General Aquaria Discussion