Unidentified Cichlids • Orange cichlid

Here's where you need to go to get help identifying your Cichlids.

Moderators: Chester B, StructureGuy

Orange cichlid

Postby jennjenn137 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:48 pm

Okay so I bought this guy who was in the wrong tank at the fish store to "save" it from its overbearing tank mate. I mixed it with my new batch of electric yellows, kenyi, red zebras, and a cobalt blue which was also being picked on that day. I cant get a good pic of it but it looks exactly like the one here http://www.dreamstime.com/orange-africa ... age3422806 Its fins and face are shaped more like the cobalt blue than the red zebras, so i am not sure if it is just a much larger zebra or if it is something completely different. It used to be regular orange but as it got bigger it is now a peachy color with reddish along the dorsal fin and tail tips. It also has 3 egg spots and a red pupil if that helps.
jennjenn137

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby CICHLUDED » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:20 pm

The fish in the link is a Metriaclima estherae…(red zebra)

Here is a pic of my male…
CICHLUDED

Postby addicted2cichlid » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:32 am

like this? my male red zebra

addicted2cichlid

Postby jennjenn137 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:11 am

I guess so. Maybe this one is just a lot older than the 2 i got a week later. They have slightly pointier faces than the one in question. Do their faces round out as they grow? Also I read that they often turn blue as adult males, does that just refer to the fin or does the whole fish turn blue? And since mine is rimmed with red would that mean it is most likely a female since its not blue at all?
jennjenn137

Postby MalawiLover » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:25 am

The pointier faces may indicate some yellow lab mixed in. It is all to common a hybrid in the hobby. They tend to look mostly like red zebras, but with pointier lab facial structure. Many times they are ever mixed in with the red zebras.

The picture in your link is definitely a pure M. estherae (red zebra). You could post a pic of the other "zebras" to get some expert opinions on their purity.
125gMale peacocks/haps
95g-Malawi Mbuna
55g-Mixed community
30g-x2 Grow out
12.5g-Fry
IS YOUR DECHLORINATOR WORKING??
MalawiLover

Postby bulldogg7 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:39 am

best pic I could find of mine, but is this what you're talking about?
Albino M. greshakei
She was never orange, but did get a little peachy colored as she got around 5inches.
I think the males get redder fins and a blue tint.
bulldogg7

Postby Joea » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:08 am

jennjenn137 wrote:Also I read that they often turn blue as adult males, does that just refer to the fin or does the whole fish turn blue? And since mine is rimmed with red would that mean it is most likely a female since its not blue at all?

Orange males will never turn blue. The orange in males is a line-bred trait in the hobby. All male M. estherae in the wild are blue, except for the very rare exception of orange and OB. There are blue variants available in the hobby as well.

Orange M. estherae with blue tints in their fins have always proven to be male IME. However, I have had males without any blue in their fins, so it's not a sure-fire way to determine gender.
Joea

Postby jennjenn137 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:21 pm

Well thanks guys. I'm glad she is what I thought she was, I call her a she cuz I named her Princes Peach when she changed color and I don't think she would want to have a name like that as a guy... I would put pics up but my 4 year old dropped my digital camera and broke the lens so I have to save up for a new one. Any recommendations on one that will give me good fish pics :wink: Mixed with yellow lab sounds very possible for the others since they were all mixed together in the fish store. they look like the one here I guess, http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... l%26sa%3DN Sorry about all the linking, been doing lots of google searches.
jennjenn137

Postby 24Tropheus » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:29 pm

That one looks like Metriaclima estherae to me.
24Tropheus

Return to Unidentified Cichlids