South American Cichlids • Keeping Oscar and African Cichlid Together?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Keeping Oscar and African Cichlid Together?

Postby FishLady » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:15 am

Hi, I am new to this forum and to fish keeping.
I have an oscar (about 2.5") and an African Cichlid (about 2"), do you think they would be okay together in tank?
FishLady

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 96firebird » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:00 am

Didn't work for me. I've got a 120 gallon with africans and they constantly picked at my Oscar. Had to move him to his own tank.

In addition there are dietary issues with mixing them. Most Africans are herbivorous, Oscars are carnivorous.
96firebird

Postby joeyballz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:14 pm

PH maybe an issue too.
joeyballz

Postby BlackShark11k » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:31 pm

Probably not a good idea.

Do you know what kind of african cichlid you have? There are nearly 2000 species of african cichlids :wink:
BlackShark11k

Postby crotalusfan » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:20 pm

It may not matter, due to water parameters and such, but how big is the tank?
crotalusfan

Postby imusuallyuseless » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:12 pm

I've mixed O's w/africans w/o too many issues, but there are many factors to consider. The type of african you have would definately make a huge difference...
110G: GT & Metae
55G Growout: Oscar x2, Gold Sev, Cutteri x5
imusuallyuseless

Postby FishLady » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:43 am

Thanks for input. The cichlid are diamond jewel cichlids. I have 4, they are still small, the biggest one is about 2".
Can anyone tell me what are good fish to put with my oscar?
FishLady

Postby joeyballz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:53 pm

What size tank?
joeyballz

Postby SYcichlid » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:49 pm

It all depends on your tank size and your O's personality. Some Os don't like anyone else in their tank no matter what size it is.
SYcichlid

Postby StillaZilla » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:38 pm

I have two 8 inch oscars and a 7 inch pseudotropheus crabro (bumblebee). They tolerate each other, sometimes having a faceoff, but never actually touching or biting each other.

Stilla
StillaZilla

Tiger Oscars and Nimbochromis livingstonii living together?

Postby shadowsalerno » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:09 pm

We just upgraded to a 55gal tank from a 10 gal as our stonii grew larger. We decided to add a pair of tiger oscars that we think were from the same mother and around the same size as the stonii. Is this a good idea to do???! :-? They all eat the same diet of frozen blood worms, pellets, and live guppies. They have had small nipping fights daily but nothing too serious. So today we bought another tiger oscar that is about double the size of all of them. This has seemed to make the stonii less aggressive but the other 2 oscars seem to continually fight with the new large oscar. I am not sure if it is flirting or fighting though as they jaw lock and roll over/lay and rest on each other between nipping matches. I also was concerned with the very fast color changes from gray/black to light gray/yellow during some of these matches...can someone help explain what the color changes mean and if they are flirting or trying to fight for dominance of the tank as well as the living situation between the oscars and the livingstonii?

shadowsalerno

FISH

Postby css virginia » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:46 pm

My experience of mixing Oscars with cichlids-(mbuna etc.)-didn't work out well at all. My Oscars did not survive. Tooo bad, because I really wanted to keep some with the cichlids. :(
*** Army of Northern Virginia 1863 ***

--- Believe and Receive ---
css virginia

Postby Big Vine » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:38 am

The minimum recommendation for a single oscar with no other tankmates is 55 gallons.
For that reason alone I'd say the setup you've got in the works is really not suitable for these fish. Housing multiple oscars in the same tank will require a 6-footer, and even then there's still a chance that they don't get along. Definitely stay away from housing oscars in 'threes,' as this almost always results in two picking on the other to death.

Color-changes in the oscars is usually mood-related, and it is not at all uncommon for them to do this. When my tiger oscar gets disturbed in some way, the light/yellowish bars you mentioned start appearing on his 'forehead,' and his fins will turn lighter as well...almost white if he's really ticked off.
BV
75 gal. - 11" tiger oscar
Big Vine

Postby favoritefish4554 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:38 am

i don't think so, actually my oscar killed african cichlid.
Oscar will dominate your African Cichlid
favoritefish4554

Re: Keeping Oscar and African Cichlid Together?

Postby vietxnameze » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 pm

didn't work for me...my mbuna pick on the oscar as soon as i put him in..had to remove them
vietxnameze

Next

Return to South American Cichlids