Lake Malawi Species • Pseudo Acei TROUBLE HELP,.. what should i do?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Pseudo Acei TROUBLE HELP,.. what should i do?

Postby Aussie_cichlid » Wed May 07, 2008 7:07 am

HEy, i noticed tonight, that the fish tnak was making huge splash like sounds.

so i walked into the room and turned on the light ( not the tank light but the room light) and went to inspect the source.

my two acei, one is about 5 inch, and the toher is just slightly larger, anyway, they were swimming really close toghet, and then the small size one was sorta mouthing the side of the larger constantly. anyway i carelessly thought it was mateing or something so i walked away, t

the noise continuted for another 3 -5 mintues so i went back in, this time turning on the tank light

the larger acei scales on both sides of body look really warn / roughed up. and then the two of them start mouth looking, second the mouths locked, my 6 inch zebra and my 8 - 9 inch male venusutus shot on over and started biting the larger already hurt acei. (( 3 against one)

i threw in some food quickly to seperate them, all started eating except the hurt acei who swam behind a rock and laid down on the bottom...

What should i do, he doesnt look hurt / cut just scales roughed a bit. Is this life threatening"

fast response will be much appreiciated incase he dies..

thanks in advance

BRyn
Aussie_cichlid

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby copasetic » Wed May 07, 2008 7:18 am

doenst sound life threating yet!! however this aggression will not stop.. do you have a small hospital tank u can use?? if so get him into there and treat with melafix. What size tank is this main tank? it should be very big for these large fish or that is your problem..
copasetic

Postby Aussie_cichlid » Wed May 07, 2008 7:29 am

thanks for the quick response

tnak is 4 foot long, 2 foot deep and 2 foot high.

my currently hospital tank is housing a zebra ( i think the name) that had his lip torn off ages ago in a fight, and i simply cant catch him, nor do i want to re introduce him into this tank.

( im getting my 8 footer in a few months when we move..)

the tank holds
1 venustus 8 - 9 inch, hes the dominant and keeps breaking this two acei up
two acei
two flamebacks 3 inch
5 clown loaches
1 bristlenose
two zebra ( on if 6 inch and thinks he is dominant till the venusuts opens his mouth at him, when he turns and runs away, and a smaller 3 inch one

i had about 10 or so more, but over last few months they have been killing each other / or just dying
Aussie_cichlid

Postby copasetic » Wed May 07, 2008 4:22 pm

yes with the size of some of those fish, that larger tank is quickly becoming small... i think until your moved and can get a larger tank you will still have battles going on with some large fish that can do damage to each other.. You are going to have to make some choices on who is your fish you cant let go, and who u can.. keep the temp low(72degrees) to help lower aggression until you can get that large venustus into that 8 foot tank. Without him your 4 foot tank would seem bigger.
copasetic

Postby Aussie_cichlid » Wed May 07, 2008 9:04 pm

ah fair enough, yeah see i bought them small, and the house is taking longer than expected to build, so i just have to wait out the 4 foot tank long enough till the 8 footer is in the next house.

another question, is,

im going to ave an 8 foot, a 6 foot and a 4 foot all withing the first few weeks of moving.
would i be best transfering the cichlid tank i have in my 4 to the 6 or the 8?

taking in mind i want the other 8 or 6 that isnt used to become a frontosa tank.
Aussie_cichlid

Postby copasetic » Thu May 08, 2008 7:26 am

Ok so you have plans for a frontosa tank. a malawi tank and what is your 3rd tanks plans? the 4 foot tank would be fine to keep all the malawi's in, if you have the heart to loose the ventustus. If he must be kept then the malawi's will have to go into 6foot or 8footer..
copasetic

Postby Aussie_cichlid » Thu May 08, 2008 11:51 am

3rd tank is going to be a planted one (( my mums only rule to buying me the two new tanks and every need lol)

so i once its fully planted etc, i will put in some small fish like basic tropical molly or something.. dunno yet it will be last to set up
Aussie_cichlid

Postby copasetic » Thu May 08, 2008 1:52 pm

well i wish you luck with keeping down aggression until those large fish have either of those larger tanks.
copasetic

Postby Aussie_cichlid » Thu May 08, 2008 8:40 pm

it is really strange though, the next afternoon, both acei are swimming together happily, no aggression and no battle scars / he has healed. :)

i have read that the dominat cichlid male in the tank sometimes breaks up the fights in tanks, so perhaps my dominatn male venusuts was just stepping in, ? and the zebra was just pretending to be dominant like he always does.

so far, no more fights, but I've seen a few stare offs :o
Aussie_cichlid

Return to Lake Malawi Species