DIY - Projects & Ideas • 1122.08 GALLON TANK PROJECT!!!

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderator: Kanorin

Postby Slash314 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:18 pm

This forum has come back to life....I am sure that I speak for everyone when I say, welcome back FishGuy. :D
he didn't have any spike man. You got to run like an antelope out of control

:Phish
Slash314

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Fishthoughts » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:04 am

make the plywood box, then cover it like you are making a shower. you use the cement board, and use the mesh tape at the seams with a good Portland cement mixed with some of those fiber additives. do a good scratch coat and let dry then do a few finish coats like you were doing stucco. last you paint it with a drylock waterproofing paint.

This may work... I built a shower in the basement out of this stuff and tiled the shower and so far no problems... That's a nice idea max!
Fishthoughts

Postby Fishthoughts » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:11 am

Where's Orwell ohio? Im in cleveland, and I've got to see this thing!
Fishthoughts

Postby TheFishGuy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:14 pm

This may work... I built a shower in the basement out of this stuff and tiled the shower and so far no problems... That's a nice idea max!

The concrete board you guys are talking about is a little different than what I'm using. The material is hardi panel, used for soffit when siding a house with hardi plank. It is made out of concrete but it's only 5/16" thick. I'm not using the mesh tape and portland, I'm going to paint the edges and use silicone...

Where's Orwell ohio? Im in cleveland, and I've got to see this thing!

I'm due east about an hour. Rt. 322 & Rt. 45 is orwell. Tour times are 6pm to 9pm est. Monday through Friday :lol: I'll save you some time since there isn't much to see at the moment but a big plywood box... Here's a few pics of the mornings events:

I can't do any plumbing untill the hardi panel is installed. I've got to drill holes through both the plywood and hardi panel. The hardi panel isn't due in till next week sometime, when it comes in I've been informed I need to take the drylok back and get it tinted blue. Since my wife is the coolest person in the world I figured I'd let her choose the color :D As nutcase says, I'm lucky to have a woman who gives me freedom. :)

I had to get fuel cells for my nail gun this morning so the total is now:

$917.81
TheFishGuy

Postby maciver » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:06 am

I recently helped my stepfather repair a leaking 900+ gallon tank in a clients home... This tank was built in a basement in Texas. The tank was 3 sided concrete on a modified slab. The bottom of the tank was 18 inches tall with a 2inch pvc pipe and fitting in the center cemented in and running out thru the floor for draining and water changes. His house was built on a slope so his basement on 3 sides is underground and 1 side partially. The tank had a plexi front piece reinforced with concrete pillers every 3 feet. This tank failed in the front due to his home settling causing the concrete to crack slightly. This tank was 6 years old... It could have been prevented if the man had used a different blend of concrete, the mix was too brittle, we ended up using a concrete sprayer for pools to shoot a 1/2 inch layer of pool concrete on it and for the last 3 months it has been cured and seems alot better now. We textured the back wall some with left over mix for an additional charge making some tunnels and caves too. The client liked the setup so much he is currantly planning an inground tank too. He is looking into excavating a pool sized area from the side of the hill between his house and hill allowing him to add a door to the basement to an enclosed walkway, he wants to walk out his basement door to a large seaworld style viewing area. He has 18 tanks as of now, including one with a very large tame catfish.
maciver

Postby TheFishGuy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:26 am

Awsome, My house is 87 years old, I'm pretty sure it's done all the settling it'll do :lol: That center brace that goes to the ceiling will be removed since the floors like to move a lot, I don't want anything in this thing moving!! Of course there will be braces going from the front to back, but those can't go in till last....
TheFishGuy

Postby TheFishGuy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:07 pm

So let me tell you about my interesting day.... First I had to go clean my mothers house because it's on the market and I'm currently working on it... Then, the day takes a turn for the worse, it starts to rain :x So as I'm cleaning up to leave my exceptionally super cool wife calls to tell me the hardi board is in... I put her on hold and did the happy dance... You know the one, we've all done it at some point or another. The reason I was so happy is because all I was going to do the rest of the day was play video games... One problem though, I was 10 minutes from the depot and 30 minutes from home. I wanted to get that five gallon pail of drylok tinted blue. Then it came to me as if my wife was telling me.... Why don't I just buy another five gallons, tint that, then the next time I know I'm going to the depot I'll return the other one... Brilliant! So I get to the depot and go straight to the drylok, take it to the paint counter and tell them to make it blue. I turned to lean on the counter and saw the customer service counter right across the main isle. I told the yahoo at the paint counter To hold his pants on and I'd be right back. I went to customer service and arranged the pick up at the pro desk. The girl at customer service wanted me, so she called down to the pro desk and had them get it ready for me.... :lol: Oh, maybe that was a dream..... Any way, Adult a.d.d. took over for a moment... Ok so now I'm on my way home and it's raining, I'm bumbed because I really need to cut this stuff out side because it's very dusty. Just as I was thinking that a ray of sunshine burst through the clouds and I heard a booming voice... :o Oh wait, that was my stereo, I was jammin because I was in a good mood....

To make a long story short :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I got home and got all the pieces cut to line the tank and realized I had some nice scrap pieces left.... Hmmmmnnnnn..... What should I do with those :lol: :lol: I think we all know the answer to that! I've got two pieces 24" by 69" (cut outs for the glass) and five rips 17 1/2" by 8'. I think I know where my sump tank is coming from.... OOHHH YEAH!!! Since the 75 is going to be filled to the rim with bio media, then the water's going to spill over the edges.... It's now going to spill over the edges into a tank that's 24" from front to back, 69" from left to right, and 17 1/2" from top to bottom. The 17 1/2" rips were the scrap from the wall pieces.... Trust me folks, there will be no scap, I'll be makin' tanks silly!!!!!! I'm going to start painting the pieces after I eat dinner.... I'll post later too... Another reason why I'm so excited is because building the filter system is going to be a lot of fun.... Here's a pic of all th scrap... How many tanks you think I'll get out of it? :D

I had a good day :) Hopefully I'll have a good evening and get a first coat on everything!!

Peace-TFG
TheFishGuy

Postby TheFishGuy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:26 pm

First coat is on!! It's like painting with peanut butter mixed with sand :lol:

I like it :D I've got plenty of it too :)
TheFishGuy

Postby orcy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:08 pm

starting to look nice. a couple more days and it will be starting to look like a real fishtank :)

can you take a photo of the paint. i need to know what i'm looking for when i walk around the hardware store

cheers
orcy

Postby TheFishGuy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:55 pm

Sure....

It's also sold in one gallon cans. It's white, but you can have it tinted to grey beige or blue. I believe one gallon covers 200 square feet. So 100 square feet doing two coats which is what the directions say. I'm doing four coats, two before instalation and two after. The reason for that is to fill any gaps with it, and to coat the edges when I drill through. It's supposedly made out of portland or hydrolic cement. It expands as it dries. On the container it says to let it cure for one week if using in a fish pond. I think this thing could be constituted as a pond :lol: If you can't find it in your beautiful country, let me know and I'll get it for you and help set up shipping. It costs $90 for a five gallon pail or $20 a gallon. Let me know, I'd be glad to help you out!
TheFishGuy

Postby dogofwar » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:20 pm

This looks like it's really coming together.

Is the plan to cement the sheets of waterproofer hardiboard to the inside of the wood frame and then silicone the seams?
dogofwar

Postby TheFishGuy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:56 pm

Not cement, but liquid nails. I'm going to start with the floor pieces silicone at the but seam then chock them down. I'll do the back next, siliconing at the bottom seam to the floor of the tank and also at the but seam. The eccess silicone is going to get wiped off, and when the glass comes everything will get siliconed at once. Then the front two pieces will be installed in the same fashon. The sides will be cut and go in last due to the fact that I'm not sure exactly what they're going to be yet because of the liquid nails. It's going to be slow going installing these pieces because I'm using liquid nails they've got to be chocked in place. So four days, bottom, back, front, sides in that order.... yee haa... I've got time though, I haven't convinced my wife of the rush order on glass yet :lol:
TheFishGuy

Postby PICJIM » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:24 am

Hey man lookin' good. I've been working 14 hour days every day for a while so I havent ben able to look at the progress. Again, it looks really nice. I may have to try som of your shmoozing tactics on my wife. lol! Anyways, I can't wait to see the direction this thing takes.
Good luck!
Jim
PICJIM

Postby TheFishGuy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:25 am

Thanks, I'll get a second coat on this morning, and I think I've decided to do a third coat before instalation. The less I've got to crawl around in there the better.
TheFishGuy

Postby 20 20 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:12 am

I might have missed this, but do you know for sure that silicon will adhere to Drylok? I read other DIY threads where people tried other materials, only to have the silicon fail after putting it all together. Just wondering...
20 20

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas