Gender Poll

36K views 151 replies 26 participants last post by  eric 
#1 ·
What is your gender?
Male6074.07%
Female1822.22%
Equally interested married (or otherwise) couple that posts together33.70%

#129 ·
I think one thing that saves topics like this is besides those posting in it, nobody is going to read through 9 pages just to see who's a guy or gal, so lots of that stuff just gets lost. Phew! :thumb:

Now to try to aid in the covering up of Beca's last topic U-turn inducer

My first memories of fish came when I was around 5. We had a small tank filled with large goldfish, some around 6". When my parents went to sleep I used to get out of bed and grab this or that fish out of the tank and go into the bathroom, where I would fill up the sink and dumb the fish in so I could play with him! It was great fun for me and probably less for the fish but I never killed even one of those suckers. I must have been careful to match the temp and pH of the tapwater and added plenty of de-chlor first :roll:

Goldfish.......Solid rocks with fins.

#130 ·
:lol: I just thought it was a funny typo....
I know of black mamba's and green mamba's, I should do seeing as I'm a bushbaby, but uh, I wasn't pointing down the snake trail....

You guys are nuts!

:)

My first fish memory is in South Africa at my uncles plot of land, they had a huuuuuuge reef tank, that's about the only fish tank anyone in my family has ever really had. It was awesome, I used to just sit there and watch them cruising about.

None of my family, cousins etc really keep fish tanks, some do but none I ever really saw and even they were just the standard goldfish bowl. So for me I'm like a pioneer, a fish pioneer in the family. They all think it's great, but I'm nuts.

Or so I'm frequently told.

We got fish because my partners brother had some and I really liked the tank, it was a 20gallon which, compared to anything else I've seen since the reef tank at the plot, was awesome (ie NO other tanks :roll:) and that just inspired me. I loved the idea of creating a world for those animals and having them as fascinating pets....

Oh how little I knew, it all spiralled out of control and now here I am up to my eyeballs in fishsoup......

I couldn't be happier about it. In fact bring it on, the more the merrier :lol:. My first fish was a goldfish, called Michael, I won him at a fair when I was about 8 throwing darts at cards (also set me up to be a good hustler lol). I won three times in a row, cleaned the dude out lol but only took home michael. He lived for a good few years but my Dad kept him with him whilst I was off with my Mum travelling, so technically he was mine for about a week. I don't think that really counts.

Long story, cut short - the end.....

#138 ·
just read the double.triple,quad post thing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-RIFT :lol: :lol: :lol: u are an abosolute FREAK!!! the funniest freak i have ever come across thou!!! :p

:lol: lol, Your seriously not well hunny :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think *** pulled a muscle in my stomach laughing..... :lol: Owwww. :lol: got cramp.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumb:

#142 ·
Where did u get "photographic" from???? :lol:

Let me go back!!

Okay so i mustv'e missed that bit from Annafish!!! :oops: Thats ur fault, wiv ur trigger happy finger :thumb: making me laugh.

I wondered why every1 was babbling on about goldfish :lol: :lol:

Okay my first ever fish was wen i was 10 years old... (15 years seems a lifetime ago :eek: )

She was orange and white and her name was Julie :oops: :oops:
she lived in a tiny goldfish bowl with pink trimming around it. Although she was upgraded as the obsession went on.....i think she lived for 7 years!!!! No filter,no pump,no dechlorinator.....how bad is that!! :eek: :eek: I used to clean her out every day wiv sparkling clean cold water straight from the tap. :?

Then wen i was 13 i got a 3ft tank and filled it with tropical fish- guppies,platties,mollies,neons etc etc. cant remember wat happened to that lot? Anyway, i was 16 wen i went to college to study Equine Veterinary college...i competed internationally in 3day eventing- all this time no fish..... so i had a 3year gap wiv no tanks

Then somehow the obsession started again......gave me OCD and here i am now talking to u lot over the www. -With my current Mbuna, Frontosas, Oh and a 2000Gallon koi pond.

Thats it really :thumb:

#144 ·
We had 2 29gs growing up for a while, one with goldfish (a big one I won at a fair named Bassy that lived 5 years or so), and the other with a few S. fryeri my father was intent on breeding. This was before the days with good internet advice, so the LFS said 29g was okay and thats what we used. I don't think he got more than 5 or 6 fry out of it ever, even though he always stripped the female into a 15g when she was ready. The tanks were also ugly as sin too, my dad is a post-modern sculptor and making pretty things have never been his strong point; he cares far more about concepts. So after my mom killed the fish when my dad was out of town for a month teaching, i got to have a 29g to myself with guppies and swords for a while before i killed those. Probably close to a year, the tank was in the basement cause my mom hates pets and eventually i got bored of going down there to feed them. must've been about 12.

Anyway, my roommate had a pair of fancy goldfish that died, so I took over the tank about 6 mos ago. Now I have a rather terrible mix of a pair of Bolivian rams and some community fish, but I have to get rid of all next week so I can move to ireland so I guess that experiment is over. I'm going to set up a demasoni species tank at some point when I get settled over there. I've definitely caught the bug, its a great hobby to help me relax.

#147 ·
The change of topic was my fault. I suggested we talk about our first fish experiences because talking about "why I'm a girl and you're a guy" got boring.

Perhaps our first fish experiences can also lend some insite into the male female gap? For instance, I'm sure that MANY people's first fish was a goldfish from a fair! What girl goes out and trys to win fish by throwing a ball in a bowl?

When I was around 7 or 8 I tried to win a goldfish at the church fair. But I didn't. :'(

Later, I was at my Great grandma's house (we called her Big Mommy or Big Mama -- I think it's a southern ghetto thing). We were sitting in the kitchen, and I was probably pouting over not getting any fish. When my grandfather (poppop) shows up with my great uncle -- and 5 goldfish! :eek:

They all stayed in a little gold fish bowl at PopPop's house because I had a cat (actually, I think my mom hated the fish). Somehow they lived for quite some time. But each one died off one by one eventually. My favorite one, goldy, died during my first communion. :? The last one, spot, died who knows when but I remember I bent over to pick something up, hit my head on the counter, and saw that he ACTUALLY had two x's for eyes!

Later, in highschool, I rescued some goldfish from a class war thing (chem class gave us chickens, calc class - us, gave them a beach with goldfish?). When I got them home I wound up cooking all but one of them. (... too hot water I am retarded). His name was newton and he lived for a year until my neighbor killed him.

My first semester in college I got a betta. I named him Icarus. He and newton (no they were not in the same bowl) lived in my dorm room until spring break when my neighbor killed Newton. That summer, Icarus jumped to his death.

So I went out and bought a NEW betta. His name is buddy. He is about to get upgraded to a ten gal (to keep it cycled for fry -- I hope). He has been around for 3 years.

For my birthday last year, my Fiance's parents bought me a 55!! That's where my africans live. And I recently picked up a 75 for my Nics! And I need more!

MORE

MORE!!!

My favorite park has always been seaworld and I used to want to be a marine biologist. Now I study digital arts and sciences at UF and to make up for it, one of my minor's is Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences.

weeee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.