DIY - Projects & Ideas • concrete background photos

This is for do-it-yourself projects and inventions.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Postby orcy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:07 am

are you worried that the return and intake are so close together? perhaps they wont circulate the tank properly?
orcy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby LongIslandCichlid » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:34 am

Yes, but I will have a few air stones and this tank in going to have the mag drive 2400 pump so the circulate should be good enough this system will also have a automatic water changer that will do about 15 to 20% a week. This tank will have it’s own filter system the other two tanks will share the filter.
LongIslandCichlid

GREAT JOB!!

Postby Havoc321 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:26 pm

LongIslandCichlid wrote:going to add better photos later but for now this is the return and intake spots

That is one of the best jobs at hiding I have seen!

Super job on the whole thing
Havoc321

Postby LongIslandCichlid » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:59 pm

Thanks, every know and then something works for me.
some photos from above

return rock

intake rock

LongIslandCichlid

Postby ringram » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:05 am

What kind of concrete and pigment did you use for that? I love the look. I hav a regular bag of Quickrete precision grout, not sure if this is the same stuff or not. Excellent job on hiding the equipment too! :thumb:

-Ryan
ringram

Postby LongIslandCichlid » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:57 pm

no pigmet at all, no need for it. with in a few weeks it will be covered with alage. I used a sand premix cement for the first 2 coats and a vinyl concrete patcher as a 3rd coat

LongIslandCichlid

Postby LongIslandCichlid » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:58 pm

my first update:
I found a great substrate for my DIY concrete background, tube of sand by quikrete. It is really crushed slate and rock but it has great color red, blue. greys and white. It MUST be rinsed well. Out of the bag it is very dusty
my last dime
Could not match it better if I tried
LongIslandCichlid

Postby HybridS130 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:16 pm

DallasTx wrote:Very impressive! :thumb: :thumb:
HybridS130

Postby Auntbeast » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:17 am

Can we just make the assumption that if I am posting it's because I want more pics? :)

I'd love to see a full shot with gravel and such.

What amazes me about these backgrounds is that it is virtually impossible to tell the size of the tanks from the photos. They look so "complete" if you will. That is a 150g tank and it doesn't look like it to me, I'm sure in person it does, that's a heck of a tank, and you have two??? *green with envy*

What are your plans for the other 150? I mean, besides making me a beautiful background and giving the whole thing to me? :) I'm not greedy, I'll take the tank you just finished. :)

Fantastic job. I love the details, proportions, hiding properties, and you are right with the gravel, you could not have matched it any better if you tried.
Auntbeast

Postby PauloSilva » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:45 pm

brilliant job man. i love the look of it all. that crushed slate mix u have is gonna increase the Ph though.
PauloSilva

Postby LongIslandCichlid » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:18 pm

Sorry Auntbeast not a chance I would part with them also not to make you any greener but I have three 150 gal tanks.
and a few 25gals

brilliant job man. i love the look of it all. that crushed slate mix u have is gonna increase the Ph though.

yes. and that is a problem this tank was going to be a planted south American tank and the Ph is too high. @7.9. so now i to move it over to the right and use the tank for Fronts and move the other tank to the middle. and use that one for the South Americans my thought now is if the tank is heavily planted i wont need a background for it i am going to just paint the back black.
LongIslandCichlid

Tanks

Postby Havoc321 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:18 pm

I'm always glad to see people with bigger and more thanks than I! It makes me feel less nuts/obsessed :D
Kelly Smith
Brooklyn, MI
www.ifhs.biz
-------
3 - 40 gallon's
1 - 29 Gallon
1 - 20 Gallon
1 - 10 Gallon - Fry tank
Havoc321

Postby Auntbeast » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:16 pm

*positively green*

You must not be married. I'm afraid to even SHOW my husband those pics.

My pH is testing 8.5 out of the tap. I'm letting some rest a while to see if it lowers with time. Otherwise, I may have a bog tank I'll need so much peat.

Those slant front tanks look pretty cool. I can't wait to see your tanks when fully set up. Keep those pics coming!
Auntbeast

Postby dclaassen2004 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:07 am

I like those 25 gallons, do you have any more info on them? Who makes them, where did you get them, how do you stack them, etc.
dclaassen2004

Postby Scatocephalus » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:13 pm

dclaassen2004 wrote:I like those 25 gallons, do you have any more info on them? Who makes them, where did you get them, how do you stack them, etc.

They are from a complete rack system built by a company called Casco. He probably got them at auction or from a Petsmart that was going out of business.
Scatocephalus

PreviousNext

Return to DIY - Projects & Ideas