Cichlid Fish Forum banner

fluval 406 cannister filter

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  overstockeddemasoni 
#1 ·
Hi , I have a 100 gallon malawi tank which has 24 fishes. They average about 2 inches big. I use a fluval 406 cannister filter which is good for a 100 gallon tank. What are your thoughts on this? :fish:

#6 ·
I have been having great luck when I am around 20 times per hour on my larger tanks. The smaller tanks seem to do just fines with about 10 to 15 times per hour in my experience as well. Just my two cents :fish:

#7 ·
You are only putting out 3.83 gallons per hour as a tank turnover rate and that is not good at all. You should be as he says around 10 times the rate. You NEED more filtration and paying attention to "advertisement" numbers can get you into trouble if you don't know what you are comparing......and apple to an orange? Add another canister filter along with the one you have got already OR add on an Aquaclear 110/500 that pumps out 500gph and works well and especially awesome when converted to biological/mechanical filters.

My 75 gallon has a total of 1,504gph with all it's filtration and turns the volume over twenty times an hour (of the tank). It's not a whirlpool either. It's just how the filters are placed and where the nozzles are aimed. I have a lot of surface agitation, so my oxygen levels always seem to read high as well as the regular maintenance that I carry thru with the tanks via notebooks/journals which I scope out every few days to see where I am at.

I think you need to add more filtration in my honest opinion. I would either order another 406 canister and make it a biological/mechanical filter OR buy an Aquaclear 110 and throw that on the back as that puts out 500gph (most likely a tad less when loaded) but still would make a DENT in your GPH per hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.