Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New 125 Gal tank project

3K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  fishmeat 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 125 gal tank with stand and canopy. Came with lights built into the canopy but not sure if I'm going to be using them due to they look corroded. Tank is in excellent condition with no major scratches or leaks. It also came with two aquaclear 110 filters. Ill most likely be selling those filters because I'm going to go with two canister filters and two wave makers. First step will be painting the background black!\

Under the canopy look.

See less See more
#27 ·
fishmeat said:
Does anyone have a rough estimate on how many mbuna I should stock in my 125 gal? Im looking to keep it to 5-6 species with a few males and enough females.
Try to aim for a 1m/4-5f ratio. I think you could probably get 35 or so fish in there. I have 22 in my 75G and that doesn't seem that over stocked. Just be sure to have plenty of filtration and do weekly water changes and you should be ok.

#28 ·
fishmeat said:
Does anyone have a rough estimate on how many mbuna I should stock in my 125 gal? Im looking to keep it to 5-6 species with a few males and enough females.
I have 38 give or take 1-2 with 4 species with a 1m/5-6f ratio and do great. VERY little And mine is a 125 6' long tank. And as far as stores i just search craigslist. I have way more money invested in just the fish alone than i do in the rest of the build all together. and Im talking Lights, stand, tank, hood, sump, pump, sand, rock, paint, electrical. I mean i have made a killing on craigslist. I probably have around $200-250 in the tank set up and probably 400+ in fish if you include the ones that didnt make quarentine and the jumpers before i added the top.

#32 ·
I also like the Pseudotropheus flavus. I know I'm getting ahead of myself as I don't even have my hoods/lights/filters/heaters yet but still researching everything to make this setup beautiful. I saw a video of a guy who went and found rocks that already had algae on them and he lightly scrubbed them and used it in his 125gal tank. The algae looks amazing and id like to mimic that. Living in Michigan and around so many lakes, it should be fairly easy to find rocks that are suitable.

#33 ·
fishmeat said:
So far stocking wise Im thinking at least the three following. Labidochromis Hongi SRT, Demasoni, and Saulosi. Still researching and choosing but I like the color variation between these three choices
D\Demasoni and Saolosi males are very similar in color. If you like the blue barred and yellow color combination. you might try Demasoni and yellow labs or just the Saulosi since the males are blue and the females are yellow. Also, Kenyis are the opposite, but I've heard they are quite aggressive, as are the Demasoni.

#34 ·
id reccomend sticking to only one of the barred species. i had the same issue with my demasoni and my white top haras (white tops won and the demasoni got all washed out) overall its best to steer clear of similar species in both color and pattern. consider adding some oddball guys like tropheops or maybe a group of litho's or something like that. anyways just my two cents, either way i think you should definitely add some Fuelleborni (OB) to the mix as they clash with most others and have a wide range of colors.

#35 ·
anthraxx4200 said:
id reccomend sticking to only one of the barred species. i had the same issue with my demasoni and my white top haras (white tops won and the demasoni got all washed out) overall its best to steer clear of similar species in both color and pattern. consider adding some oddball guys like tropheops or maybe a group of litho's or something like that. anyways just my two cents, either way i think you should definitely add some Fuelleborni (OB) to the mix as they clash with most others and have a wide range of colors.
Great advice! I'm still looking so this isnt set in stone yet. I love Fuelleborni (OB), I have two in my 55 gal and the male is beautiful! They are among the species id like to have in my tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.