Cichlid Fish Forum banner

NEED HELP ASAP!!!

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  GTZ 
#1 ·
I have a hap ahli who has some grey spots on him and i don't know what it is.http://i50.tinypic.com/3443y28.jpg His fins are messed up as well.I lost 3 fish just this week.they all had these spots and fins messed up badly.They also had stopped eating.I have a 100 gallon with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 40 nitrate 7.5 ph.I run a 1500 cascade canister filter.please HELP!!!

#3 ·
If you can, post a pic of the fish in water.
What are the other fish in the tank?
What is your water change amount and schedule?
How long has the tank been running?
How long have the fish been in the tank? Any recent additions?
It's difficult to guess as to what you're dealing with. From your description it could be parasites, bacterial infection (in which case a raised temperature would be detrimental) or fungal.

#4 ·
I do 30% water changes once a week.tank been up n running for 6 months.My recent addition died.It was an otter point jake.I have 3 red empress,2 morri's,2 venustus,1 red borlyi,2 yellow labs,1 red zebra,1 sunshine peacock,1 red dragons blood,1yellow blaze,1 livingstonii,1 taiwan reef,1,insignus,2 clown plecs and 3 clown loaches,and my fish are flashing alot!!

#5 ·
What do you use for dechlor? Do you add anything else to the water?
Any quarantine duration for the Otter Point or was he added directly after purchase?
Any aggression in the tank? Any other pics? In the water would be best.
As of now, a large water change can't hurt, 50% or more.
Do the fins look like they're nipped or simply deteriorating. I know it can be hard to differentiate. Just trying to rule out aggression as the source.
How long after you noticed the gray spots were the first 3 fish dead?

#6 ·
I use start right for a chorine remover.I did not quarantine the otter point jake.I KNOW HUGE MISTAKE!As for as the spots like 2 days and there dead.As for as aggression.They chase an thats about it.The fins is hard to tell.The otter point was badly damaged when i bought him.My hongi's fins where gone more an more each day.I had him since my tank was cycled.My hap ahli was fine 2 days ago an last night he wasnt.

#10 ·
Difficult to diagnose. Could be aggression after the lights are out or when not being observed. Could be a fast acting disease such as columnaris.
My best guess is some kind of disease introduced by the otter point. You say he was in rough shape when you purchased him, possibly already carrying something before being introduced into your tank.
At this point, if your remaining fish are showing symptoms, physical or otherwise, I'd treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic like Kanamycin or Nitrofurazone or both combined and hope for the best.
Perform a large water change with dechlor, vacuum and remove any bio filtration prior to medicating. Monitor water parameters while treating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.