Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Frontosa Holding

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Razzo 
#1 ·
I've got a female frontosa that is probably holding eggs right now and am not sure what to do. She is a big girl, around seven inches. I don't have a seperate tank big enough for her. The quarantine tank I have is 10 gallons and with the waste she produces is probably not bit enough, could be wrong though. What should I do?

#2 ·
If you want to save fry, then you'll have to strip her. Although, I wouldn't raise fry in the 10 gallon tank for more than a week or two. So, perhaps your best bet is to let this batch go (let her spit in the tank) and think about getting set up to rear fry before worrying about harvesting any.

#3 ·
thanks for the reply. Wasn't really planning on having her get knocked up. Knew it would happened eventually, though. At this point I'm not really into breeding so I've been thinking of trading her for a male so I don't have this problem in the future.

I will try to find some articles about stripping the eggs from her and see how difficult and\or risky that is and go from there.

If I did try to keep the fry in the 10 gallon for a week or two, at that point could I start trying to sell them or give them away or will they still be too small?

#4 ·
How long has she been holding?

If memory serves me right, I would strip at 28 to 31 days if I didn't have to tumble???? It has been so long, that almost doesn't seem right but I think it is. They should be wigglers at that point. You could put them in a floating nursery for 1 to 2 weeks. 20L will work for a couple months. 4' footprint is your minimum for year 1 then 6' is your minimum there after.

Stripping is not terribly hard. I recall eric has an article in the frontosa section of the articles. They do grow kinda fast. You will constantly need to give them more footprint as they grow.

Here's some pics to give you an idea of how developed (Days after spawning) - this was a group that I stripped early and had to tumble.

Hope that helps,
Russ

#5 ·
mhertzfeld said:
thanks for the reply. Wasn't really planning on having her get knocked up. Knew it would happened eventually, though. At this point I'm not really into breeding so I've been thinking of trading her for a male so I don't have this problem in the future.

I will try to find some articles about stripping the eggs from her and see how difficult and\or risky that is and go from there.

If I did try to keep the fry in the 10 gallon for a week or two, at that point could I start trying to sell them or give them away or will they still be too small?
The rule of thumb for selling & shipping frontosa is 1.25"

I am sure a LFS would be thrilled to take them off your hands. I would think they would be happy to give you at least $8 each for them.

Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.