Aquarium Setup • MY Fish Room update video. any suggestions to improve?

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

MY Fish Room update video. any suggestions to improve?

Postby sunny231 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:12 am

check out my video of my fish room!
let me know if u guys have any thoughts of things to remove or add. im always open to suggestions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xg96mUdRNw

thanks!
sunny231

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby fmueller » Thu May 03, 2012 11:47 pm

Nice video! I hope you took your dog for a walk after you shot it :lol:

Anyhow, air driven sponge filters are definitely the way to go if you want to set up a fish room. I also like the idea that you are using two in most tanks for the same reasons you pointed out in the video. I appreciate that you want to show off the new pump, but seriously, I have visited many people's fish rooms but never one were the air flow was half the level of what you are using. There is no harm in it, of course, but the water in some tanks looks like it's just about to jump out of the tank :D

Actually, the tank you show at the very end, where you say you are worried about it not having enough flow, is pretty much what most people are using - and maybe still a little more! Personally, I'd bleed some air off the pump and bring the air flow in the other tanks down to that level. Filtation would be the same in my experience, oxygen would still be at saturation, but you could fill the tanks a bit higher without them overflowing. Right now it looks like you can only have about 60G in a 75G tank!

Your fish look awesome, but you knew that already :) In random order some other details to think about:

- most of your tanks don't seem to be covered very tightly, and you have a lot of tanks in a small space. Keep an eye on the moisture situation, and look out in case molt develops on the walls or ceiling. In the long run, you might have to do something about moisture control, like vent the room or use a dehumidifier.

- the sponge filters you use are awesome, and I am using the same ones in the few tanks I have in the basement. However, if you wanted to further improve on the system (especially make maintenance periods a lot longer) consider using Hamburg Matten Filters. They are a different type of air driven sponge filter - much larger sponge! They can also double up as dividers, and are a lot safer than eggcrate for that purpose. If a divider separating two colonies of peacocks falls over and you can't tell apart the females, you basically lost both colonies!

- a drip system for automatic water changes would be an awesome addition for your setup :thumb:
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby sunny231 » Fri May 04, 2012 12:27 am

thanks so much for the detail response. i like that im doing a few things right! again im trying my best to get the most out of my experience in the hobby. im doing my best to keep "big " tanks in a tight area. i guess im doing ok for now.

as for the moisture. i dont c anything on the walls that looks like theres to much moisture in the room. but then again u cant c till real damage is done. i have a dehumidifier. ill prob let it run 2 hours each day? cuz im trying to save asmuch electricity as possible. but then again the house is more important. could come to thousands in repairs if moisture hits the framework of the house.

as for the drip system. i like doing manual water changes. it is time consuming but then again, i get a little workout doing it. plus i get to spend more time with my fish. everything i do is manual. staying fit is on my priority and its doing well for me !

thanks again!
sunny231

Postby fmueller » Fri May 04, 2012 12:42 am

No problem. In case that didn't come over earlier, your fish room looks very well set up - in fact, I am green with envy, since I only have a tiny tank rack in the basement and 3 other tanks dispersed around the house.

Good you are thinking about the moisture issue. That dehumidifier might well do the job.

i like doing manual water changes.

I never expected to hear somebody say this, and I thought the dog would be the one responsible for the fitness. Having the water change system gives me more time to walk mine :D
fmueller
Global Moderator

Postby Deeda » Fri May 04, 2012 11:44 am

Nice video!!

I also second Frank's recommendation for putting lids on all your tanks. It will reduce tank evaporation, which helps your home humidity level and prevents your fish from jumping out.

I also suggest putting a check valve on your air pump to prevent water from siphoning out of your aquariums in the event of a power outage. That is a real concern that most people don't consider when putting the pump under the tanks. Not only does it make a mess, it can permanently damage the air pump.
Deeda
Global Moderator

Postby sunny231 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:42 am

aha gotta stay fit bud! always good to stay active. i finally got some new fish and picked up a 10 gallon today. going to get rid of my 5's and put 10 in the spot. more room the better. ill be using my 20 long very soon. going to place it under my 125 gallon. prob keep my trio of lwanda int here and let them grow abit.

fmueller wrote:No problem. In case that didn't come over earlier, your fish room looks very well set up - in fact, I am green with envy, since I only have a tiny tank rack in the basement and 3 other tanks dispersed around the house.

Good you are thinking about the moisture issue. That dehumidifier might well do the job.

i like doing manual water changes.

I never expected to hear somebody say this, and I thought the dog would be the one responsible for the fitness. Having the water change system gives me more time to walk mine :D
sunny231

Postby sunny231 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:43 am

hmmmm. good point about the check valves. ebay has a huge deal on them for like 20 for 5 bucks or less i think. there cheap. ill consider. thanks!

Deeda wrote:Nice video!!

I also second Frank's recommendation for putting lids on all your tanks. It will reduce tank evaporation, which helps your home humidity level and prevents your fish from jumping out.

I also suggest putting a check valve on your air pump to prevent water from siphoning out of your aquariums in the event of a power outage. That is a real concern that most people don't consider when putting the pump under the tanks. Not only does it make a mess, it can permanently damage the air pump.
sunny231

Re: MY Fish Room update video. any suggestions to improve?

Postby Deeda » Sun May 06, 2012 11:26 am

You only need one check valve that is located between your air pump and the first gang valve. Your other option is to locate the air pump above the highest water level of your tanks.
Deeda
Global Moderator

Re: MY Fish Room update video. any suggestions to improve?

Postby cantrell00 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:57 pm

Late response for sure but you will get much more efficient use of the air if you attach a air stone to the line in the filter. Will eliminate the noise from the filter too.
cantrell00

Return to Aquarium Setup