Central American Cichlids • Rainbow cichlids

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Rainbow cichlids

Postby Louie13 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:38 pm

These are quite hard to come by in my area, but I managed to get 4 hoping for a pair in a 38 that is 36x12x20. It's early but I may have really lucked out and there may be two pairs forming out of the 4. My intention was to work for one pair in this tank, but what would I need to house two pairs if that does happen? I assume this tank would be two small for two pairs? Could it work in a 40 breeder? Or would I need a 55 or even larger? The 40 breeder would make things easier because the stand on which the 38 sits can accomodate a 40b, as would the lighting. It's just the rainbows with some sword tails as dithers. Thoughts? Thanks.
Louie13

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Rainbow cichlids

Postby CjCichlid » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:11 pm

I think you will be just fine having two pairs in your 38gal; as multispinosa (rainbows) are very docile compared to the majority of other CA cichlids. Just be sure to have two distinct areas where each pair can claim within the tank.

Good luck! :thumb:
-Chris

135gal Central American Community

Updates and pics: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=237760
CjCichlid

Postby Louie13 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:30 am

Thanks for the feedback!
Louie13

Postby alisonn » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:59 am

I'd be quite careful with the layout. I have had a pair breed in a group of 6 and they are trying to defend a large area. No damage done to anyone else but I was very surprised how much space they took - the floor space is about 35" by 36" . Had to add in some more large slate to help out. They seem to like to move the fry around from place to place - they were moved overnight last night. No longer in the open but beneath an ornament.
But this is my first cichlid spawn so possibly not typical. Other fish with them are african red eyed tetras and a couple of cories. This was only a temporary quarantine tank but they had spawned so will be staying for now.
alisonn

Return to Central American Cichlids