Lake Tanganyika Species • New 25g Tanganyikan tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Re: New 25g Tanganyikan tank

Postby Dawg2012 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Unfortunately the missing fish was found... under the couch. :( .Lesson learned regarding replacing the top trim after adding a new HOB filter. :oops:

I'm thinking about taking the one remaining Brichardi back to the lfs (as I doubt I'll get five new ones to accept 'him') and getting six new ones... and maybe giving them the 55g tank in the bedroom. It currently has six juvies - three Anagenys and three Milomo's - that I was keeping for that large tank 'someday'... but they're really kind of boring and if I get a large tank 'someday' I'll likely want to do something else besides large fish. Anyway...

If I do that, what would be better suited to the 25g tall? I have Occies at work and Multis in the 75, so I'd like something in addition to more shellies. Tank is too small for Cyps once they grow a bit... Maybe a pair of the smaller julies with some Brevis? Still going to leave a lot of upper water underutilized.

Thoughts?
125 Borleyi, Electra and Dolphins
125 Afra, Red-Top Hongi, White/Yellow labs
75 Multies, Cyps and Caudo's (maybe)
75 White Calvus, in work (want another Afra tank :) )
55's Paracyps, Alto's, Peacock, BN Pleco's
Various others...
Dawg2012

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 24Tropheus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:19 pm

If you have not tried a 'Lamprologus' multifasciatus colony then I recommend those. Once fully settled use the whole tank coming to the surface for feeding or even biting your feeding hand. Prob do better without the N.brichardi. 8)
I tend to leave paring of N.brichardi in small tanks to others. Dunno if I am incomptant or something but I have not got it to work in less than a 29g. :oops: :)
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Postby Dawg2012 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:41 pm

I have Multies in my 75g, and Occies at work, so I wanted something different.

Do Brevis colonize in a similar fashion?
Various others...
Dawg2012

Postby 24Tropheus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Dawg2012 wrote:I have Multies in my 75g, and Occies at work, so I wanted something different.

Do Brevis colonize in a similar fashion?

Not realy. You can get em to live together but they tend to hate each other outside breeding (or at least my 5, 2 males 3 females (and there young) do). Similis prob too similar if you already have multies.
Erm maybe a caudopunk group or Telmatochromis vittatus would suite your requirements better?
Love to try these myself but getting em in the UK is quite hard and expensive.
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Postby Dawg2012 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:05 pm

Mmmm, I've always liked the Caudopunks! That might work. I have 101 shells coming Thursday so I'd have shells for them... :lol:

In looking up the Vittatus, I noticed the Telmatochromis brachygnathus (not a shell dweller). Interesting looking fish in the profile, and only 3". If I built up some nice tall rockwork in tank, do you think I have any hope of one rock dweller in the tank? Start with six and wind up with a pair? Would the Punks be able to defend their fry?

Ugh the tank's footprint just sucks... Maybe I'll go get some acrylic and make some shelves like that one article describes.
Various others...
Dawg2012

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species