Lake Malawi Species • Male Auratus in hiding this morning

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Male Auratus in hiding this morning

Postby cichlid-gal » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:37 pm

:thumb: and I'm going to try to do some more reading on them as I obviously did not understand this from my readings already ... thanks again :)
125g Limbochromis robertsi, P. mulitcolor victoriae, P. pulcher
125g Metriaclima sp. zebra gold (Lions Cove) WC, P. polit
75g Xystichromis sp. Kyoga Flameback
and smaller tanks with livebearers, Bettas, tetras, other
C.A.R.E.S
cichlid-gal

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby fishmagnet » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:23 am

If you dont shake bottle number 2 for at least 10 seconds before adding to the sample vile you will get a reading of zero...I know I've done it :oops:
75 gallon all male Mbuna tank
55 gallon Lab. Gigas , Met. Zebra long pelvic Galleriya reef , Cyn. Afra Jalo reef F1
20 gallon long Planted Community Tank
2x5 gallon Beta
Fluval spec 5 gal Planted Shrimp tank
fishmagnet

Postby cichlid-gal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:34 pm

fishmagnet wrote:If you dont shake bottle number 2 for at least 10 seconds before adding to the sample vile you will get a reading of zero...I know I've done it :oops:

:thumb:
C.A.R.E.S
cichlid-gal

Postby cichlid-gal » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Well...I let everyone sit with the big boy in timeout for a bit and yesterday I put him back in the mix in the 75G tank. At this time, out of the 5 auratus (big boy included)...I now seem to have 3 males as 2 (that's TWO) of the original females have changed color...they went through a short brown period and now are showing the darker blue/black colors...

I did add new rock to the tank and mixed things up a bit .. for now my big boy is hanging out in the back of the tank...he blends so well you can hardly see him but he is venturing out every once and a while..and the other two newbie males(???) have taken up residence at opposite ends of the tank laying claim to a couple of caves

Not sure what will be the end result here but really don't want to see anyone killed so think I'm going to see if my rehoming can happen now instead of later...hate to let the auratus go too but maybe that is for the best as my current setup seems to be heading for doom and gloom...

Will be looking for some other species to restock with...possibly some that are less aggressive (although I really liked my auratus) or should I consider a species only tank for them in this 75G??? Any input or suggestions???
C.A.R.E.S
cichlid-gal

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:33 am

I really like the look of auratus, especially a full grown male. I wish I could have stocked them in my 125, but didn't want to go down that road, due to aggression. A species tank would be cool, or paired with another aggressive mbuna. Just make sure your ratios are right with these guys, from everything I've read.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby cichlid-gal » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:26 pm

I was told that if I wanted to do a species only tank then overstocking was the key thing and to really pack them in...and maybe someone can clarify for me. From what I have read, auratus can not really CHANGE sex although they can display as the opposite sex so is it possible that I have had all females all along but one of them morphed to the male coloring earlier than the others and now the remaining are throwing their hats in the pot so to speak. I'm just confused as like I said, I've gone from what I thought were 1M/4F to what now appears to be 3M/2F. So what do I really have at this point - is it 3 morphed females or 1 male/2 morphed females? Or do any of us even know :lol:
C.A.R.E.S
cichlid-gal

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:15 pm

We used to have a Mod here who kept them in a species tank, but they still killed each other fairly often. She eventually gave them up as too much trouble.

Males will mimic females to avoid attack. If you want to know the gender of all your fish, you could remove the dominant male and see who else colors up. Repeat until no one colors up.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby cichlid-gal » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Its like hide and go seek... LOL ... and after much thought I think I'll move on from my thoughts of having these in a species tank. Being new to the hobby and cichlids I still have a lot to learn. This is just one step ... in which direction I'm not quite sure but at least I'm still moving along :thumb:
C.A.R.E.S
cichlid-gal

Postby pom-in-nz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:48 pm

I've found that the males always dominate so it could be that you had a sub male who now thinks its his time to shine and is taking on his male colouring and driving the old male out of his new territory. If this is happening then the older males days are numbered. Moving him on is his only chance
pom-in-nz

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species