Lake Malawi Species • C. Moorii being extremely aggressive, help!

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: C. Moorii being extremely aggressive, help!

Postby 13razorbackfan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:48 pm

jnick wrote:
Fogelhund wrote:I might consider putting the moori in a time out for a bit. Long-term 15 fish might not be enough to spread the aggression in a 125 gallon.

Thats good news!! I do plan to add more fish. I have a bunch that I'm looking at but I did begin to think I was getting to the tanks max stock! At what number do you think is a good stopping point? I know a site sponsor says around 30-40. Does that sound right?

Depends on the fish you choose. I wouldn't put 40 of the larger fish(such as the nimbo's) in a 125g. I would think 40 would be ok for the smaller haps and peacocks but would stop at 30 with adding in a bunch of the larger predatory fish. Really just depends on how you mix and match.
13razorbackfan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby jnick » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Good! Because I don't know if I have the wallet for 40! :)
55G - Mbuna - Rena XP4 - Aqueon Pro 150W - Marineland Double Bright LED

125G - Peacocks/Haps - Fluval FX5 - Rena XP2 w/ TurboTwist 18w inline - Aqueon Pro 250W - 2x2 AquaticLife T5HO 10k & Actinic
jnick

Postby jnick » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:06 pm

It starte getting worse and worse. It became clear that the Moorii had a personal vendetta against the Venustus. I noticed the venustus' side was bitten and then saw what looked like a Godzilla battle between the two. They were mouth to mouth, fighting to the point that they smashed against the top glass causing it to pop up a bit.

I immediately removed the Moorii, putting him in a 10 gallon. Unfortunately this tank also had our fry, so I am forced to use a divider. Therefore, he only has HALF of a 10 gallon at this point.

He's been in there for 24 hours now. How long should I leave him in there? I would figure it cannot be healthy to leave him in there..?

Otherwise, the venustus has yet to return to full color. He does here and there but it's not consistent. He has chased a few people here and there but I'm attributing that to him feeling unsafe at this point.

Thanks!

125G - Peacocks/Haps - Fluval FX5 - Rena XP2 w/ TurboTwist 18w inline - Aqueon Pro 250W - 2x2 AquaticLife T5HO 10k & Actinic
jnick

Postby ratbones86 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:41 pm

they say leave them out for a day or two then put him back in the tank and sometimes it will make him the "new guy" in the tank but it dont always work. id leave him out for another day then put him back in....if it continues time for him to go...
"I am, what i am, because i am." <Popeye
ratbones86

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:20 am

The last time I had to separate I did it for 6 weeks. I tried after a week or so and it didn't work. So I talked with an even more experienced hobbyist and he suggested 6 weeks. It worked like a charm. They fought for about 1 hour after I reintroduced and now...I will even take video of those who doubt it....they actually have their little territory less than 6 inches apart and don't even hardly acknowledge each other. Kind of mutual respect. Obviously this won't work in every case but it did in mine.

Also...make sure to rearrange the decor totally in the main tank. It will appear to be a totally new home.
13razorbackfan

Postby jnick » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:46 am

Do you think it can survive in a 10 gallon (which with the divider, is really only 5 - 7 gallong) for three weeks?

Also, do you think I need to do a role reversal? Should I take out the Venustus since it was wounded and put it in the hospital tank to recover, thus putting the Blue Dolphin back in the 125G? Or should this lesson be more of a timeout and let the Venustus recover in the 125g?

Thanks!

jnick

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:41 pm

jnick wrote:Do you think it can survive in a 10 gallon (which with the divider, is really only 5 - 7 gallong) for three weeks?

Also, do you think I need to do a role reversal? Should I take out the Venustus since it was wounded and put it in the hospital tank to recover, thus putting the Blue Dolphin back in the 125G? Or should this lesson be more of a timeout and let the Venustus recover in the 125g?

Thanks!

How big is it? Probably not a good idea in a tank that small divided in half. It would probably be stressful I would imagine. I was lucky enough to have access to a 30g long for my timeout tank.

I would take the aggressor out because if you remove the venustus and put it back in the problems will persist. However not having a tank big enough to remove the aggressor is a problem in and of itself. I think your options are pretty limited at this point unless you can scrounge up another small tank to remove the aggressor.
13razorbackfan

Postby Michael_M » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:40 am

You need to buy another hospital tank to keep the Moorii in or rehome him. Personally I think he sounds alot more aggressive than your average Moorii and it would probably be easier to rehome him and buy another with a more typical moorii personality.

Since its an all-male tank you have to be prepared to rehome fish, sometimes they just don't work out. :( But another hospital tank is definitely a good idea for a all male setup, it just makes life easier.
Michael_M

Postby jnick » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:41 pm

If I was to get another tank, whether a 20 or 30G, how do I use a hospital tank? For instance, cycling the tank...? I would assume the tank does not stay running 24-7 as when there are no fish in it, the BB would die from no ammonia. Though, when it comes time to put a fish in it, how is this possible without cycling?

Thanks!

jnick

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:17 pm

jnick wrote:If I was to get another tank, whether a 20 or 30G, how do I use a hospital tank? For instance, cycling the tank...? I would assume the tank does not stay running 24-7 as when there are no fish in it, the BB would die from no ammonia. Though, when it comes time to put a fish in it, how is this possible without cycling?

Thanks!

Most people either leave the tank up and running or move over some filter media or a sponge. Since they are not meant to house large numbers of fish with a high load most people just move over some media when they set it up and it will be fine. What type of filter are you using on your main tank?
13razorbackfan

Postby jnick » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:20 pm

An FX5 on the 125 and an XP4 on the 55G.

So you're saying to just seed the new tank with media and leave it running? Then seed it again should I need to put another fish in it down the road?

Thanks!

jnick

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:22 pm

If you are going to leave it running, you would leave fish in it. Maybe a BN pleco or a misfit fish that cannot be in the main tank?
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby jnick » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:26 pm

Is it better to just keep it off when not in use and see it each time, once I put fish in?

jnick

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:27 pm

jnick wrote:An FX5 on the 125 and an XP4 on the 55G.

So you're saying to just seed the new tank with media and leave it running? Then seed it again should I need to put another fish in it down the road?

Thanks!

You don't have to but I would as DJ recommended put a small BN pleco in there. The bacteria don't need a food source to stay alive according to Dr. Tim. They do need it to reproduce though so as long as the temperature stays within reason and the filter media stays wet on the hospital tank you will be fine.
13razorbackfan

Postby jnick » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:28 am

Just a small update...

The Moorii was quarantined for about 2.5 weeks. I had added two fish this weekend and thought it would be perfect to put him into the tank with them so the new guys do not get singled out.

Within 5 minutes of adding him to the tank, he and the Venustus were at it again. However, this time, the Venustus started it and was chasing him around. Obviously we know who is boss now! The Blue Dolphin has just been hanging out since then, more-so near the top of the tank. That was until last night. From the other room I could hear "Clank, Clank Clank!". The blue dolphin was DARK, flexed and at it again. Though this time he did it when the lights were off and the fish were sleeping. It would appear that he attacked my Mloto white blaze. Because of this, I am heavily leaning towards re-homing him. Everything was great when he was out of the tank. Very little aggression. Now it seems he is starting trouble again... :/

In this situation, is it normal to ask LFS for a trade or trade + cash? I really don't want to lose my $40 on him but at the same time, I can't have him killing my fish either! This will be my first re-homing experience so I'm not exactly sure on how to go about it.

Thanks!

jnick

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Malawi Species