Illness, Health & Nutrition • Moving

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

Moving

Postby sftbl3 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:36 am

I am going to be moving soon and need some feedback on how to move my fish. I have a total of 5 tanks in my house. 2- 35's, 2-60s and 1-25. I have a mix of fish, everything from Oscars to Chocolates, to catfish to mollys. What is the easiest and most responsible way to move them and then get them back into a relatively healthy tank ASAP? I have considered just putting them in 5 different rubbermaid containers with aerators, getting them down there, filling their tanks, adding prime and putting them in...reasonable? They are all pretty mature fish but I am also wondering about their stress level with this move. This will be 8 hours on the road in the florida heat. I don't want to lose fish and I don't want to put them in danger. HELP! :fish:
sftbl3

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Moving

Postby triscuit » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:20 pm

For 8 hours, they won't need aeration, the water surface will be exposed to air if they're not bagged. You can bag your fish- but that's a lot of work.

When I'm traveling to an auction or conference, I use tubs with lids to move fish. I stop feeding my fish a few days before the move, and then do at least 2 large volume water changes on the tanks. I fill my tubs 1/3 full of water, leaving plenty of room for splashing but deep enough the fish can swim (that will help you decide the correct size of container). Do you have enough space in your vehicle(s) to move the fish and tanks on the same day? If not, tub the fish, with cycled sponge filters and temperature control, and go set up the tanks. The tubs will be fine for a few days. Image

Temperature control in the car will be important... drive in the evening if you can, and make sure the fish have A/C if you need it. Keep a thermometer handy- most fish will be just fine up to 85 degrees, as long as you don't chill them too quickly afterwards. You can always add some ice along the way... a half a cup per gallon of water takes the edge off.
triscuit
Global Moderator

Postby sftbl3 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:17 am

Thank you so much for your help. This eases my mind a bit. Your set-up is amazing and yet overwhelming. I can't imagine traveling with all of that. Looks like you do a great job though. I believe we will be moving fish and tanks together. Thanks again for your help.
sftbl3

Postby triscuit » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:32 am

I live in Maine- traveling is part of the hobby for me. :lol:

It's a pretty simple set up, and if your fish are compatible, you can use fewer, larger tubs. They're pretty self sufficient in the tubs if you do not feed, keep the temp reasonable, and have a cycled sponge filter. Remember to travel with your buffers, dechlorinator, extra bucket, net, thermometer, etc. If you can, test your water at the new place to see how it differs from your old water.
triscuit
Global Moderator

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition