Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New Fronts arrive Tuesday!

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  biglove 
#1 ·
Tank appears to be ready. New colony of 20 F1 2" Mpimbwe will arrive Tuesday! Haven't been this excited about a fish breed EVER!

Switched my tank from 400+#s of field rock to nice Colorado River Boulders of only 176#s. Pulled out over 200#s of sand bringing my substrate down to about 1 1/2" of PFS. Removed my water fans and now have my three AquaClear powerheads on the back wall aimed straight up and set deep into tank so as only to disturb water surface. Spray bars on my two XP3's now for the same. Looks like the current is now minimal.

Pulled the under sand jets as I just didn't find them effective at keeping substrate as clean as I hoped and the current from them was fierce.

Have orders in for Anubias, Java Moss & Java Fern.

HUGE props to FMueller for his guidance and the info he has posted on his site! Thanks to others who shared their experience with Fronts and great pics.

I have a single Clown Loach that is about 2" and now 4 1" Clown Loaches in the tank. All my mbuna, haps and Vics are gone. Twenty were given to a friend who is new to the hobby and they are doing well. 19 went to the local pet store on consignment.

Looking for some suggestions as to what other Tanganyikans would be a good addition. I am not really worried about breeding and will wait a few weeks to see how the Fronts settle in. Am interested in shell dwellers and maybe a few that will swim in the upper water column. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I LOVE this forum!!!

:dancing:

See less See more
#4 ·
Congrats! I can't wait to see pics. I like the larger Julies, Leleupi, and Calvus/Comps. Large Syno Multies are also nice, since you are not interested in breeding, and don't have to worry about them stealing eggs. I know Fmueller's tank has Brevis in it, and a smaller Julie, Cyps, etc.. But, my past fronts have killed Brevis, as well a a large male Occie, and a Comp. My rule of thumb is not to put a that I can't bear to lose in with the Fronts.

#5 ·
Floridagirl said:
Congrats! I can't wait to see pics. I like the larger Julies, Leleupi, and Calvus/Comps. Large Syno Multies are also nice, since you are not interested in breeding, and don't have to worry about them stealing eggs. I know Fmueller's tank has Brevis in it, and a smaller Julie, Cyps, etc.. But, my past fronts have killed Brevis, as well a a large male Occie, and a Comp. My rule of thumb is not to put a that I can't bear to lose in with the Fronts.
Thanks for the suggestions! Will be ordering in July to round out the tank.

Will post pics soon!

#15 ·
VERY Nice! And yes, thanks for sharing! :thumb:

#16 ·
One question... what will happen with the clown loaches? Will they hang with the Fronts, rehome, or become snacks at some point?

#17 ·
Dawg2012 said:
One question... what will happen with the clown loaches? Will they hang with the Fronts, rehome, or become snacks at some point?
The Fronts and the Clown's grow slowly so am hoping they will mature together and be too big for a snack! One loach is bigger than the baby Fronts and should keep pace with them. The other 3...well, hoping that their dreaded "spike" fin will discourage the Fronts from a snack-attack!
:dancing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.