Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Bolivian rams

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  halffrozen 
#1 ·
I have a 20g tank with 5 panda cories as well as 2 bolivian rams. The tank has all real plants and has a decent amount of hiding places. I have still noticed that the male bolivian has been showing the female alot of agression to the point she has turned very dark in colour. Should I get another female to mitigate the males agression between them or how can i solve the problem?

#2 ·
Adding another female may solve the problem. Im assuming your 20 gallon is not a 20 long. bolivians are bottom dwellers so the more bottom the better, altho it dosent really matter with only two. is the female showing any other signs of stress? swimming near top? Flashing?
Altho lots of hiding places are good, sight breakers are better. when you say hiding place i think of a cave or a pot.

#5 ·
Yes adding another female could poss a problem due to pairing up. But if the male pairs with the new female you could always take the old female out.
Is the female showing any other signs other then darking color?
How long has it been going on?
Did you add them to the tank at the same time?

You could always try rearanging the tank there for mixing up the teritories already formed.

#6 ·
She hides alot but other then that dark colouring and being chased is all she shows. Its only been about 2 days. The agressive male was added about a week after the female as the first male didnt make it. What re arranging didnt fix it what else can I do?

#10 ·
:( Im sorry to hear. Onestly there wouldnt be a plan B. If you cant control the aggression then seperation is the only answer.
Did you see the male constintly chasing her?
If you dont have another tank you must not have quarntined the newer fish when placing it in the tank.
Id suggest getting a 10 gallon tank and leaving it barebottom to quarntine new fish for a few weeks

#11 ·
Bolivians select their own partners and set up a male and a female is no guarantee at all for a pair. That's why Bolivians do best in groups of 6 or more. In your case the tank is way to small for such a number. For that you select the wrong specie for the size of tank. I'm sure your tank is better suited for a trio of apistos. Probably not what you want to hear but it is a solid advice.

#12 ·
Very sorry to hear OP.

I would have also suggested to add in some dithers.. just a small school of them. May have helped with the aggression a bit(taken the males full attention off the female, seeing her as a threat)

You ARE positive that you had 1m/1f? I know it is very easy to tell, and I actually shocked the LFS at how fast I was able to tell them what ratio they had in-stock.. lol
(Refer to this link with a pretty decent picture of a M and F)
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/f...ouple-questions-bolivian-rams.html#post478360

May I ask to see a picture of your current tanks setup? May be able to help you with for the next go-around. If you choose to get females.. I would personally get two.

IDK what it is about the Bolivians we get at our LFS, but I never have had BR's get hostile with each other to the point where one kills another, though I DO have a 40gal(which is alot of floor space for them) but I have 6 adults, 1 sub-adult and 2 VERY small sub-adults. Tension is null with the proper amount of LOS(Line Of Sight) breaks.

But like said above, it sometimes is best to 1) have a larger tank for BRs(floor space wise) and 2) start with a group of 5+ and let them naturally pair off. I had 1m/3f and he paired with them ALL one after another.. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.