Lake Malawi Species • Way too much time to over think

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Way too much time to over think

Postby Cajen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:25 pm

I am done traveling for business now and am settled in... Cycling two tanks now a 55g Mbuna tank and a 29g Tang (my First Tang tank). Since the day I found this forum, I believe that I have obsessed (wife's wording, not mine... I prefer to say educated) over doing it right. My ammonia in both tanks is converting to Nitrite with 24 hrs, but Nitrite still high, doing the daily water changes etc... Should be ready soon :D

Anyway, my proposed stock list for the 55g is...

55g Mbuna tank
P Elongatus Jewel Spot - Hai Reef
P. Saulosi
P. Socolofi

As the topic suggests, with so much time between then and now, I am second guessing the P. Socolofi. The order listed is the order of desire for the stocking... For the third specie I definitely want either monomorphic fish or a nice dimorphic fish that works with the first two... Thinking about Rusty's but have not really committed.

Does anyone have other suggestions that would work, given what I am trying to accomplish?

As always, input, advice and knowledge from you guys and gals has been totally AWESOME! Much appreciated!

Chuck
Cajen

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Way too much time to over think

Postby Kevinthecichlidlover » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:13 am

I used to breed p. socolofi and they are extremely aggressive so I wouldnt go there.
Kevinthecichlidlover

Postby Cajen » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:27 am

So any folks have suggestions other than the Rusty's?
Cajen

Postby phister » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:39 am

rusty's are good, i like them. i actually have a nice strain of 12 rusty's coming in on tuesday :thumb:
phister

Postby Cajen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:53 am

No other stocking opinions? Noting wrong with the Rusties, just want to know that I have looked at what will work... Honestly, I think that I have anyway either through other threads here or opinions and suggestions... I am about 5-7 days away from ordering stock... My 29g is completely cycled and my 55g (which will house the Mbuna) is converting ammonia to nitrite and zero'ing out Nitrated in 48 hours... So getting close.

Thx
Cajen

Postby Michael_M » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:23 am

I'll throw a spanner in the works for you :P

Selecting saulosi as the 2nd species closes the options for the 3rd species dramatically. Eliminating all yellow as well as blue, barred mbuna which is lots.

Rusties don't have the really nice females like you seem to want. So changing saulosi to for example electric yellows keeps the yellow colour in the tank, but opens up your options on the 3rd species dramatically.
Michael_M

Postby Cajen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Yellow labs are monomorphic right? If I went that route what would be a good 3rd? You are right that I want fems with color also. That is why I went with Saulosi good color male and female. I mean 1 male and 5 females leave a lot of drab if I do not go with nicely colored females
Cajen

Postby Kanorin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:57 pm

Ps. Elongatus 'spot'
Yellow labs
Cynotilapia sp. Hara - (nice blue females)
125G: All male
Haps: Steveni taiwan, pheno, spilo. tanzania, lithobates, cop. trewavasae, polystigma
Peacocks: Stuartgranti x3 (Cobue, Usisya, & Mdoka), baenschi, ruby red, bi-color,
+ Y. Lab & S. Multi
Kanorin

Postby Cajen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Kanorin, I see you have Ps Elongatus Jewel spot - are yours Hai Reef? Do you have any pics? Are you happy with them, their temperament and overall personality?
Cajen

Postby Kanorin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:24 am

My signature is a little bit out of date - I no longer have them.
When I did have them (Hai Reef) I enjoyed them - they were probably the least aggressive fish in that tank, but even still the male showed good color. They bred a few times for me. My one complaint is that the females are very drab. I'll look for some pictures.
125G: All male
Haps: Steveni taiwan, pheno, spilo. tanzania, lithobates, cop. trewavasae, polystigma
Peacocks: Stuartgranti x3 (Cobue, Usisya, & Mdoka), baenschi, ruby red, bi-color,
+ Y. Lab & S. Multi
Kanorin

Postby Cajen » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:01 am

Thanks Kanorin, I have seen pics of the females and they were silver with lite blue flecks... Not much color just a little. I really like the color of the male though and I thought with just a hint of blue flecks they would be ok.

So, it appears that my tank is only a day or so away from being fully cycled and I now have to finalize my stock list. I really like the suggestion on stocking... So now it looks like

Yellow Labs
Cynotilapia sp. Hara
Ps. Elongatus Jewel Spot (but as the title sez... I am even second guessing that now... I do not want drab Fems, especially if I need to stock 1/6)

Would welcome other thoughts here as well...sure, why not?
Cajen

Postby madmort0 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:20 am

O. lithobates. id like to see those mixed in , or red empress. not mbuna but id like them in the mix.
madmort0

Postby Michael_M » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Cynotilapia sp. "hara" 1m 4f
Yellow Labs 1m 4f
Pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos 1m 7f

I've never kept cyaneorhabdos but I think they'd make a nice addition. All 3 species don't get particularly big so I would think they would be fine in a 55g. Someone who's kept them may correct me though.
Michael_M

Postby Cajen » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Michael, I like that suggestion. Would someone with direct knowledge please chime in here? Would these 3 make a good combo for a well rocked 55g? Are the ratios correct, end state?
Cajen

Postby cantrell00 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:18 pm

They will work... My money is on the Hara being the boss of the tank...
cantrell00

Next

Return to Lake Malawi Species