Aquarium Setup • Are these test readings ok?

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Are these test readings ok?

Postby bullzi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:08 am

Hi,

I am having a 4 feet tank with 1.5 feet width and height. I am using Eheim 2217 which is on for last 6 weeks. I added fish just 5 days back, 6 blue dolphins of 3-4 inch. I did not use any cycling process, just the filter was on for the last 6 weeks.

Yesterday night, I checked for the Ph, NH3 and NO2. Reading are as following:

PH - 8.4
NH3 - zero
NO2 - zero
NO3 - did not check till now, will post tonight

Now I know my tank is not cycled, its cycling process is going on, then how can NH3 and NO2 become zero? Is there any problem with the reading/testing? Or in 1 month, the filter got some beneficial bacteria itself?

Also, is the PH ok for Moories?
bullzi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Are these test readings ok?

Postby bullzi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:40 am

Also, here in our state In India, tamps are quite high, I am getting 34-35 C always inside the tank and I want to prevent this overhating. Any idea on how to lower the temps to acceptable levels? I googled and found out that ideal temps for Moori is 24-28C ?
bullzi

Postby bullzi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:00 am

Guyz need some suggestions. I have read the other thread regarding high aquarium temps. I will try installing some cpu fans and lower the temps this weekend. Will post the results here.

:)

Please comment on the ph value. Also, regarding my query if N2 cycle is built up in my tank. When can I add more fish in the tank?
bullzi

Postby wallyb0rd000 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:49 pm

I am relatively new to this but I have a decent understanding. I know nothing about moori but both my cichlid tanks (malawi and tanganyika) are kept at about 80 F. as for the levels, Ph is fine... you should have some ammonia by now. What test kit are you using? the strips are not great but the API viles i swear by. 6 big fish seems a little much to add at the same time but i have been wrong before. any other checmicals you used? some can throw off readings...chekc your nitrAte..if you have any level you are cycled although i would be amazed that it happened in justfive days..as for lowering the temp, if you need to, buy an aquarium cooler. why did you have a filter running for 6 weeks with no fish?
Fluval Edge gold occie tank
10gal-brevis fry tank
20long-brevis tank
29gal-telmat orange scribble tank
Fluval Studio 47.5gal mixed mbuna tank
wallyb0rd000

Postby bullzi » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:53 pm

I am using API master test kit. I will recheck and post the results today.

BTW, aquarium coolers are available? Did not know that. Thanks for the suggestion.

:)
bullzi

Postby reflexhunter » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:10 am

I don't have any experience with these fish but I have seen them before, a fellow aquarist had a groupmofnthem in a 6ft 150g tank. I think you are going to run into problems keeping these fish in a 4 ft tank, what is that 55g? These fish get kinda big and six of them in this size tank sounds like trouble.

Just adding your filter to a tank and running it for however long dosent do anything for the nitrification process for your tank, so basically when you added your fish you started day 1 of the fish in cycle for your tank.

Unless you keep up on the ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate levels in your tank you will probably have some fish loss.

Here is a link on doing a fish less cycle http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/f ... _cycle.php

Google search fish in cycle process, until then at least 25% water changes daily with a good water conditioner like prime or safe will help to keep fish loss to a minimum.

Gl
Daniel
reflexhunter

Postby bullzi » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:18 am

Well ctually I asked my fellow fishkeepers here, all of them suggested that fishless cycle is not needed with Malawis, they are quite hardy.

:(

I will be looking on the ammonia and nitrite as well as nitrate levels regularly. If something is alarming, I will do water changes.

Just tell me one thing, daily 25% water change, doesnt it sound a bit too much for Malawis?
bullzi

Postby bullzi » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:20 am

Btw, I am doing these, I clean the uneaten food as well as their #%$& by gravel siphoning everyday. Will that help to keep the water parameters right?
bullzi

Postby Fishy_Cichlid » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:07 am

Bullzi wrote
Well ctually I asked my fellow fishkeepers here, all of them suggested that fishless cycle is not needed with Malawis, they are quite hardy.

:lol: :lol:
I suppose you havent even seeded the tank for the N2 cycle and are not using media from cycled tanks and perhaps not even any bottled Bacteria starters like Tim's One and Only. And your forum Mods & Experts recommend the above :o :o

I pity the fishes ...... they are gonna die soon. BTW which forum gave that sound advice ?

Univ. of Florida and the experienced forum members here will be honoured to interact with such experts :lol: :lol:
The Greeks didn't write obituaries, they only asked one question after a man died : Did he have passion ?

F1 Cyphotilapia Gibberosa Zaire (Moba)
F1 Cyphotilapia Gibberosa Zaire (Kapampa)
Fishy_Cichlid

Postby bullzi » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:13 am

I am not saying about any forums/mods. How did u conclude that? I have some of my friends who are keeping fish for long time.
Also, I have googled and found that lot of persons do cycling by adding fish. What do you have to say about it?
bullzi

Postby bullzi » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:56 am

I do not want my fish to die. So what do u say? I should return them to the shop?
bullzi

Postby Fishy_Cichlid » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:02 am

Can you post the link of the thread where you were advised
The Greeks didn't write obituaries, they only asked one question after a man died : Did he have passion ?

Fishy_Cichlid

Postby bullzi » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:05 am

I dont get it, when did I say I got this advice from forum?
bullzi

Postby bullzi » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:43 am

Just did another test. The readings are as following:

NH3 - something between 0-0.25 ppm. The color did not match exactly
NO2 - still zero
NO3 - something between 0-4 ppm. The color did not match exactly.

What is the situation in my tank? Can anyone comment please?
bullzi

Postby Fishy_Cichlid » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:59 am

What is the situation in my tank? Can anyone comment please?

Any idea whats it like being inside a Gas Chamber or someone throttling your throat

Fishy_Cichlid

Next

Return to Aquarium Setup