Aquarium Setup • Maintaining a healthy Biofilm

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Re: Maintaining a healthy Biofilm

Postby Fishy_Cichlid » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks Dr.Tim, so much for your patience & your time in answering my questions. I went through your papers, infact, all of them and at length several times. It was difficult at times to understand buy yes, I did get the synopsis and also the answers to my questions there itself. Its amazing, since I just knew (as of today) that it was just a Nitrosomonas bacteria that was responsibe for the Ammonia Nitrification. And I also understand why the N2 cycle period varies in length for different people cycling their tanks.

Thanks again, so much.
Regards - Jay
The Greeks didn't write obituaries, they only asked one question after a man died : Did he have passion ?

F1 Cyphotilapia Gibberosa Zaire (Moba)
F1 Cyphotilapia Gibberosa Zaire (Kapampa)
Fishy_Cichlid

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby B.Roberson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:57 pm

So 13 razorback I have a question, and I'm no expert, so what we've read and heard from Dr Tim he doesn't like the Bio in a watertight container?? I don't mean to take anyone off the track they were going but what I heard was he didn't like that. So do you, or anyone keep the Bio eg: ceramic, stars, etc out of their canisters?
I have a 75 gal wth a canister and a hob, ac110. Would anyone want to put most Bio in the hob so the FILM doesn't build up too thick, as you can rinse it more readily, and keep more mechanical in the canisters??. This has probably been answered but thanks anyway..
B.Roberson

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:01 pm

B.Roberson wrote:So 13 razorback I have a question, and I'm no expert, so what we've read and heard from Dr Tim he doesn't like the Bio in a watertight container?? I don't mean to take anyone off the track they were going but what I heard was he didn't like that. So do you, or anyone keep the Bio eg: ceramic, stars, etc out of their canisters?
I have a 75 gal wth a canister and a hob, ac110. Would anyone want to put most Bio in the hob so the FILM doesn't build up too thick, as you can rinse it more readily, and keep more mechanical in the canisters??. This has probably been answered but thanks anyway..

Yes....and one of the main reasons is what you mentioned in regards to the biofilm being smothered by gunk and other types of bacteria that we don't really want. So I posed the question would it be better to rinse the biomedia during filter cleanings making sure not to scrub but to gently dip in old or dechlorinated tank water. His answer was yes. So when I clean my filters, I clean one filter at the first of each month and the other filter the first of the next month and so on, I make sure to dip my ceramic rings gently(maybe gently is the word because I used some force and quickness in dipping them just making sure I don't scrub it off as this knocks off most of the buildup) when I clean the filter.

I think as far as placement I have always preferred to keep my filters loaded with both bio and mechanical as to limit mini cycles or if one fails. I have not had any issues. I have so much bio media split between both my filters that I don't think it is necessary to clean more than once every two months. Then again I have two giant filters on my 75g. Together they probably hold about 8 gallons of water.
13razorbackfan

Postby B.Roberson » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 pm

And that's what I was gathering also, thanks for the assurance. I've been kinda doing that anyway as far as rinsing the ceramic rings, both my filters have some. My canister also has some (stars) Rena xp3.
But I only clean the canister every other month. The AC 110 I rinse the media weekly with WC, and lightly rinse the Bio...
Sound right??
B.Roberson

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:35 pm

B.Roberson wrote:And that's what I was gathering also, thanks for the assurance. I've been kinda doing that anyway as far as rinsing the ceramic rings, both my filters have some. My canister also has some (stars) Rena xp3.
But I only clean the canister every other month. The AC 110 I rinse the media weekly with WC, and lightly rinse the Bio...
Sound right??

Sounds fine to me. If your parameters are staying within reason then I would say you are fine. I have always stuck with a routine. Whatever you decide to do just stick with it if it is working for you.
13razorbackfan

Postby Tex Chappy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:15 pm

Resurrect time :)

I have a couple of questions about what I've read in this thread:

1. Have Dr. Tim's views stood the test of tim in the last couple of years?

2. If Dr. Tim doesn't like canister filters for Bio - what is the preferred setup for Bio and Mechanical filtration?

3. What about the rest of Dr. Tim's 'maintenance' bacteria products?
Tex Chappy

Previous

Return to Aquarium Setup