Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Enough filtration for bio load?

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Jmanolinsky 
#1 ·
I have a 40g tank I'll be stocking with saulosi. I'll have 12-15 after they're adults and I have my ratio I want. I'm currently running a marineland penguin with bio wheel and two filters at 150 gph and an Aqueon quiet flow at 250gph. Is this ok?

#5 ·
The water turnover is adequate. But biological filtration depends on the type of Media used and type of filtration. More surface area means more places for more bacteria to settle down. A sump (with proper media) is a more effective Biological filter in comparison to say a canister. Again, your bacteria will grow to the optimum level based on the Biological load of the tank. So less load means lesser bacteria even though your filter surface area is capable of homing more quantities of bacteria. The reverse isn't the same though since you are limited by the surface area of your media.

However, 12-15 numbers are way too many in a 40 G.

#11 ·
countryboy814 said:
GTZ said:
If it's a 48"x13" 40g, 10 should be fine. It's the same footprint as a 55g. I'd probably go with a single BN.
It may be the samie foot print but not the same volume. It's 12 fish. Twelve 5" fish
At best, Ps. saulosi will reach 4.5 inches in the aquarium, the average will be closer to 4" or less, particularly with females. I don't see anything wrong with stocking 10 in a 48"x13"x16" tank.
Also, 10+1=11.

#13 ·
That should be enough biological filtration, but it's kind of on the low end of what I think I would do. I would probably aim for two HOB filters that would combine for about 600 GPH. I like to have plenty of water movement under the surface to keep the waste off of the substrate. I don't think what you have will do that, so you will probably end up vacuuming a lot. You could probably use the two filters that you mentioned in conjunction with an underwater powerhead or two, as razorbackfan mentioned, for much better results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.