Lake Malawi Species • Mbuna stocking advice for a newbie who made a mistake

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Mbuna stocking advice for a newbie who made a mistake

Postby Aqua_K » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie with a 48 inch 90 gallon cycled tank, planning for all mbuna (already have lots of rocks, caves, etc). Last weekend I made the (big!) mistake of purchasing my first 10 juvenile mbuna from a mixed mbuna tank at my LFS. After agonizing all week trying to identify everything, I have determined that I very clearly need to trade some of them back since I clearly have a very mixed-aggression stock. Here's what I am pretty sure I have:

2 pseudotropheus sp. ("elongatus ornatus")
1 labridochromis joanjohnsonae
3 bumblebee
1 yellow tail acei
1 pale yellow probably hybrid, with some markings like a male kenyi
1 pale yellow probably hybrid with a black patch on the head - I can't figure this one out
1 kenyi female

First off, I know I made a big mistake buying from a mixed tank and I have definitely learned my lesson and will not make that mistake again. :D I'm aiming for a reasonably low aggression tank, so I am aware that at least they kenyi and suspected part-kenyi hybrid need to go. Do the bumblebees also need to go? Are there any others that should go? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Aqua_K

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Mbuna stocking advice for a newbie who made a mistake

Postby oldcatfish » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:49 pm

Well, pictures would help. But assuming that you are correct about the hybrids being aggressive, only the Acei and Joanjohnsonae are likely to work long term, in a "low aggression" tank.

Personally, I'd just wait it out and remove fish that don't work. I've had male Kenyi and Bumblebees that were mellow enough to keep in mixed tanks of 75 gallons. I would add at least 5 or 6 more mbuna though. Just have at least 1 cave available for each fish.
oldcatfish

Postby Aqua_K » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks very much. I'm definitely planning to add more. On this note, since I am starting off with juveniles, how many total fish should I aim for in a 90 gallon tank? I know that I should over-stock, but I have not yet figured out just how many that means. I'm assuming that it is best to add all of the fish I plan to have over a few week period under the assumption that juveniles who grow up together are more likely to be better tank mates.
Aqua_K

Postby DJRansome » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:53 pm

If you are doing mixed genders, you want only 4 species. If you are doing all-male, you want one of each and no look-alikes. The numbers depend on which option you choose, but the mixed genders would allow you to squeeze in the most fish. Think in terms of 20 fish if you choose low-aggression mid-gender fish that mature at 6" or less.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Aqua_K » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:34 am

Ok, so it sounds like I have too many different species right now and should choose 4 species between them-is that correct?
Aqua_K

Postby Aqua_K » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:41 am

For this last question, I am referring to a mixed gender tank.
Aqua_K

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:39 am

You want four species and think in terms of 1m:4f of each. That could change depending on which four you choose. The elongatus, crabro and kenyi are aggressive and work better with 1m:7f of each. If you choose those, you might go to 3 species...especially with the crabro (bumblebee) who is aggressive AND big.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby repeter » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:12 am

I have bred crabros and their aggression is just like any other fish. So I think a ratio 1:7 is a bit ridiculous.
repeter

Postby oldcatfish » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:29 am

Quote "I have bred crabros and their aggression is just like any other fish. So I think a ratio 1:7 is a bit ridiculous."

--I have also bred Crabro, Kenyi, and other aggressive species. 1:7 ratio is ideal for a stable breeding group. That being said, I've been able to keep males of both of those species with only 2 females in a mixed species tank smaller than the OP's, and with more species than he/she lists. A lot depends on how the tank is decorated (the tank needs to be "choking" with rocks), as well as the temperament of the individual fish.
oldcatfish

Postby Michael_M » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:54 pm

I'd keep the Acei, provide him with 4 lady friends, remove the others and then proceed to stock around the acei who is a friendlier mbuna like you desired.
Michael_M

Postby Aqua_K » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks, everyone.
Aqua_K

Return to Lake Malawi Species