Equipment & Supplies • fx5 making bubbles

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Re: fx5 making bubbles

Postby 13razorbackfan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:50 pm

Gotcha....yeah...I did a 85% water change myself today. Had to catch a fish and take to the LFS. Had to pull my rocks out to catch him.
13razorbackfan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Rob1984 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:58 pm

ya i have to actually take the red oscar to my LFS and hope they take him.... im going to assume the red oscar and tiger are both males, wasnt a good mix... but albino and tiger get along just fine...
Rob1984

Postby 13razorbackfan » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:01 pm

Sorry to hear....happens all the time though. I am sure you will get the right combination if you keep trying.
13razorbackfan

Postby Rob1984 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:10 pm

yea, well my little red tiger oscar and big albino get along totally fine tho... so either M+F or F+F ut i havent got a clue and i also read it is impossible to sex oscar regardless of there age/maturity
Rob1984

Postby Deeda » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:11 pm

Cleaned up the extraneous quotes to make reading the thread a bit more manageable.

Glad to hear the FX5 is running better for you. Just be aware the filter does shut down every 24 hrs for 2 minutes to purge any accumulated air from the filter.
Deeda

Postby Rob1984 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:35 pm

Yep I know that as I shut it off when doing large WC's... It wouldn't kick up and run cuz it had some substrate rocks or sand wedged in the motor and what not not allowing it to turn and run like it suppose

Deeda wrote:Cleaned up the extraneous quotes to make reading the thread a bit more manageable.

Glad to hear the FX5 is running better for you. Just be aware the filter does shut down every 24 hrs for 2 minutes to purge any accumulated air from the filter.
Rob1984

Postby Rob1984 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:05 pm

Well been a few days and still have them tiny bubbles coming out my intake grrrr... I wonder if it getting air in it some how ? But wouldn't know how to check....
Rob1984

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Rob1984 wrote:Well been a few days and still have them tiny bubbles coming out my intake grrrr... I wonder if it getting air in it some how ? But wouldn't know how to check....

How old are the sponges and the other filter media? You say you cleaned them recently, worked well for a couple days and now it is back to blowing bubbles? You could go around tightening all the connections, make sure the intake is away from the bubble wall...

Also...I am not sure how you have yours connected but on the intake(the part with the strainer) where it attached to the ribbed hose HAS to be under the water. If you are getting good surface disturbance and at times(maybe a second here or there) and if any part of that connection is out of the water then that could be your problem.

Go to youtube and watch the install video..it is two parts. Make double sure you follow all the guidelines set by fluval just to be sure.
13razorbackfan

Postby Rob1984 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Hmmm, well the intake connector is just at my water level.... These are the way it was when I got it from the previous owner... I guess I could always cut the intake down 1-2" ..... It odd cuz it never had micro bubble or anything when I first set it up, and I haven't got a clue how old the sponges are, or even the media or bio balls... The bubble wall is prolly 8" away from the intake you can't see any bubbles getting sucked in it at all...
Rob1984

Postby 13razorbackfan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Rob1984 wrote:Hmmm, well the intake connector is just at my water level.... These are the way it was when I got it from the previous owner... I guess I could always cut the intake down 1-2" ..... It odd cuz it never had micro bubble or anything when I first set it up, and I haven't got a clue how old the sponges are, or even the media or bio balls... The bubble wall is prolly 8" away from the intake you can't see any bubbles getting sucked in it at all...

I can't say for sure the intake is the issue just a guess. I know that fluval says that the connection must be below the water line and I could have swore they said 1". I would do at least 1" regardless simply due to evaporation and the dropping of the water line. You should try to do this and see if it fixes your issue. Just a suggestion.
13razorbackfan

Postby Rob1984 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:26 pm

Ya I'll likely try cutting off 1-2" tomorrow, also have my bubble wall off for a couple days to see if it actually causing an issue....
Rob1984

Postby Rob1984 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:15 pm

Well I had the bubble wall off for a few days, and it didn't blow as much bubbles, then today I did a water change and cut the intake tube down a good 2" as it was water level height before and now it well under my water level all though I still have the bubble wall off... What kind of other bubble maker is out there ? If it causing it I'll wanna change to something different I like the looks and my fish like swimming and playing in the bubbles
Rob1984

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Rob1984 wrote:Well I had the bubble wall off for a few days, and it didn't blow as much bubbles, then today I did a water change and cut the intake tube down a good 2" as it was water level height before and now it well under my water level all though I still have the bubble wall off... What kind of other bubble maker is out there ? If it causing it I'll wanna change to something different I like the looks and my fish like swimming and playing in the bubbles

Don't know....it has been years since I used bubble makers of any kind. I wouldn't imagine it would make much difference though.
13razorbackfan

Postby Rob1984 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:03 pm

Well I'm just wondering if a different bubble maker would make a difference in a different spot, instead of my back wall on the bottom as the power head is in the back corner which could be blowing the air bubble towards the intake.... And it nice to have bubble maker to add oxygen since my water temp seems to go up and down due to the heat here 80-86 varys depending on the temp outside ... Haven't had my heaters on all summer so far
Rob1984

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies