Lake Tanganyika Species • Shellie Tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Shellie Tank

Postby UNIDEKE » Fri May 25, 2012 11:45 pm

Thought I would try a Shellie tank. Pulled some old stuff our of retirement and just set this tank up, thoughts?

10gal, PFS #20, Escargot Shells, Java Fern, Limestone rock, Sponge filter, Full spectrum fluorescent T8 lighting, no heater ATM

Neither Petsmart or Petco have any Shellies, so am looking for some! Am looking to go with “Lamprologus occelatus ‘Gold’
UNIDEKE

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Shellie Tank

Postby reflexhunter » Sat May 26, 2012 12:14 am

Looks good, might want to get some more shells, ab has some in the mixed section or you can order some from one of the vender that sponsor here.
reflexhunter

Postby UNIDEKE » Sat May 26, 2012 10:15 am

Wasn't sure on the number of shells, have about a dozen in there now, can easily put more in. Thanks for the input!
UNIDEKE

Postby Ptyochromis » Sun May 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Looks good, needs a few more shells and their orientation should be changed, opening either facing up or to the side (with the spiral facing down). Brevis and multi species prefer the opening to face straight up while ornatipinnis prefers it on it's side. If the fish's mouth faces up shell opening goes up, mouth opens down shell goes on it's side; not always the case but a good rule of thumb. Anticipate 2-3 shells per fish, more for multis.
Ptyochromis

Postby UNIDEKE » Mon May 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Thanks for the info...added another dozen shells and changed the orientation. Will post an updated picture soon.
UNIDEKE

Postby reflexhunter » Tue May 29, 2012 1:17 am

Good luck in arranging the shells, my multies are always moving sand and burying shell the either don't like or use lol

So what kind of shellie are you going to put in there? Ah never mind, missed it under your pic :D
reflexhunter

Postby UNIDEKE » Thu May 31, 2012 6:58 pm

Just got my Gold Occies in the mail, very interesting fish...think I'm going to like these guys! Did a little reading (posted above), and can already see some of the characteristics coming out. Here are a few basic shots.

Thank you for the suggestions!
UNIDEKE

Postby reflexhunter » Thu May 31, 2012 7:22 pm

Awsome! So how many did you start with?
reflexhunter

Postby UNIDEKE » Thu May 31, 2012 7:39 pm

reflexhunter wrote:Awsome! So how many did you start with?

Started with 6, we'll see how it works. My goal is to have a breeding pair or two or a working trio. I have several 20g -L tanks that I will be building a stand for (need to build a 6' 125g stand first), but for the time being they are in a 10g. Never having Shellie's, I have a lot to learn, but am up for the discovery.
UNIDEKE

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species