Illness, Health & Nutrition • bashed

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

bashed

Postby nudge » Fri May 18, 2012 11:40 pm

just found my female dolphinlike this. She is in a hospital tank what can i add to treat her, i have some pimafix on hand but thats about it, any help greatly appreciated
nudge

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: bashed

Postby nudge » Sat May 19, 2012 3:36 am

i,m wondering if she got jammed up against the heater. The flesh looks like it is almost cooked. Could a heater cause a burn like this? i would have thought that the fish would have to be against the heater for a while to cause that much damage?
nudge

Postby DJRansome » Sat May 19, 2012 8:23 am

Heaters can burn fish...you would think they have the sense to move away when it gets hot. I've never seen a wound like that, but I was thinking the same thing.

I'd keep a close eye on her in case there is a secondary infection. Watch for fuzziness. With pristine water if it is a heater burn she could easily heal without medication.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby GTZ » Sat May 19, 2012 2:39 pm

DJRansome wrote:With pristine water if it is a heater burn she could easily heal without medication.

+1. Increase the water change frequency. Be sure you have a cycled filter on your quarantine tank to deal with ammonia/nitrites.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby nudge » Sat May 19, 2012 6:16 pm

its weird, doesnt look like a bite, there is no shredded fins or flesh. Iths just a clean hole in her side. Nothing in the tank big enough to take a chunk out of her like that. I have her in a 12g tank with heater and a hob with some filter wool that has been running for about 5mnths. Doin 50% w/c daily. Shes just sitting at the bottom of the tank, tryed a little food but not interested.
nudge

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition