Cichlid Fish Forum banner

medium sized cichlid for comnunity tank

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  alisonn 
#1 ·
Hi,
Just joined and would like some advice.
I have recently upgraded to a 2700 litre tank. Mainly so far I am moving my catfish (doradids, woodcats, plecs, synos, hoplos) and clown loaches in. I also have some scissortails and so far 2 filament barbs but I will be increasing the barbs to about 8 when I can.
Just wanted some ideas for fairly peaceful cichlids from 3" up to about 6" that I could have 6 of or a couple of compatible species?
thanks
Alison

#3 ·
gourami are another. also angels can be nice. i personally dont like mixing catfish with anything since most (if not all) are nocturnal and that may stress out the rest of the tank

#5 ·
jd lover said:
gourami are another. also angels can be nice. i personally dont like mixing catfish with anything since most (if not all) are nocturnal and that may stress out the rest of the tank
Unfortunately both of those have long fins and would not be suitable for mixing with active barbs.

Interesting - I have never heard anyone voice that opinion before but I can understand that with very sensitive fish.

#8 ·
A nice big school of angels WOULD look amazing. Or (although NOT south american) In a tank that size you could happily stock a few pairs of herotilapia Multispinosa (rainbow cichlids)

Although if memory serves i dont think Filament barbs are ACTUALLY very nippy. Like Odessa barbs for example, kept a shoal with angels for ages with no issue. The trick is to have enough barbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.