General African Cichlid Discussion • 2 Females Holding in Same Tank by Themselves

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: Floridagirl, DJRansome

2 Females Holding in Same Tank by Themselves

Postby gverde » Fri May 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Last night I removed 2 phenochilus tanzania holding females and put them in a cycled 10 gallon tank. They have been holding for approximately 3 weeks. Do you think the 2 females will spit the fry being that there is another fish in the tank. I mean will each be scarred of each other and not spit the fry or do you think each one knows that they are both holding and will not be a threat to each other. I have successfully had a holding mother spit but she was in a 10 gallon by herself. I could also strip them if that will work too. Thanks.
220G All Male Hap/Peacock
125G 1 Pair Phenochilus Mdoka "White Lips", P. Tanzanias, L. Kandalli, A. Christy
55G 1M 6F Phenochilus Tanzanias, Troheous dubois maswa
40G Placidochromis Mdoka "White Lips" fry
gverde

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 2 Females Holding in Same Tank by Themselves

Postby DJRansome » Fri May 18, 2012 9:29 pm

They will spit, but they are likely to hold longer with the other there than if they were alone. I'd divide the tank.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby gverde » Sat May 19, 2012 9:36 pm

I decided just to strip them today and both of them must have swallowed the fry because there mouths were empty. I guess next time I may try to strip earlier.
125G 1 Pair Phenochilus Mdoka "White Lips", P. Tanzanias, L. Kandalli, A. Christy
gverde

Postby vann59 » Sat May 19, 2012 9:40 pm

gverde wrote:I decided just to strip them today and both of them must have swallowed the fry because there mouths were empty. I guess next time I may try to strip earlier.

Have you looked underneath any rocks or tank decor? Sometimes the fry will hide.
PM me to join our local "Manasota Cichlid Keepers Network" here in Sarasota/Manatee FL area.
vann59

Postby gverde » Sun May 20, 2012 10:53 pm

I looked under the only two flat rocks I had and nothing. Oh well, there around 15 females and only 1 stud male so I'm sure there will be more holding soon.
gverde

Postby Dawg2012 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:50 pm

I have had two carrying females (of different species) in a tank together. Both eventually spit and all the fry survived. It probably took longer as each were nervous, but it worked and we had no other options.

I've seen several carrying females in the lfs together and all appeared well.

That being said, if we have other tank options available we'll keep them separate. Just makes everybody, including us, a little more at ease.
125 Borleyi, Electra and Dolphins
125 Afra, Red-Top Hongi, White/Yellow labs
75 Multies, Cyps and Caudo's (maybe)
75 White Calvus, in work (want another Afra tank :) )
55's Paracyps, Alto's, Peacock, BN Pleco's
Various others...
Dawg2012

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion