Lake Tanganyika Species • Thinking about a shellie setup.

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Re: Thinking about a shellie setup.

Postby JMUFTW » Wed May 16, 2012 8:21 pm

I am looking at the N. Tret too for my 50G - just found this site that makes me think a little. http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Neolamprologus_tretocephalus.php
I think it will still a beautiful fish to keep until he starts causing trouble!
JMUFTW

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby orau22 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:30 pm

JMUFTW wrote:I am looking at the N. Tret too for my 50G - just found this site that makes me think a little. http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Neolamprologus_tretocephalus.php
I think it will still a beautiful fish to keep until he starts causing trouble!

i also did some more research and found that as well, looks like he may not make it into my tank :(

Right now its between 6 caudopunks or doing a gold occie and july marlier gombe combination.

Still have to figure it out but it really comes down to how peaceful they will be, and how many fish id like to keep in the tank.
orau22

Postby Jaciesla » Wed May 16, 2012 8:47 pm

They sure are a gorgeous fish! I decided on Yellow Calvus for my rock dweller to go along with my gold occies :) They have fun little spunky personalities and they all seem to chase eachother around their temporary 10 gallon set up. Julies are pretty too and they are often kept in the same tanks together. They can be aggressive though, but then again, so can all cichlids. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1537
Jaciesla

Postby orau22 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Jaciesla wrote:They sure are a gorgeous fish! I decided on Yellow Calvus for my rock dweller to go along with my gold occies :) They have fun little spunky personalities and they all seem to chase eachother around their temporary 10 gallon set up. Julies are pretty too and they are often kept in the same tanks together. They can be aggressive though, but then again, so can all cichlids. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1537

Hmm, I'll have to find a more peaceful/less aggressive rock dweller.
orau22

Postby craziloki » Wed May 16, 2012 10:00 pm

A. compressiceps and A. calvus are very peaceful fish. They never really bother anyone. At least, that has been mine and many others experience. Of course you have male dominance within the species.
craziloki

Postby orau22 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:05 pm

craziloki wrote:A. compressiceps and A. calvus are very peaceful fish. They never really bother anyone. At least, that has been mine and many others experience. Of course you have male dominance within the species.

I do like the A. Calvus Chaitika "white". Maybe ill do a group of them mixed with a "shelly".

Choosing fish is very difficult, there are so many great choices!

I am hoping to have my mind made up by tomorrow. And thanks again for all the help from everyone thus far :thumb:
orau22

Postby craziloki » Wed May 16, 2012 10:12 pm

IMO calvus and occies would be a great setup with beautiful fish and great interactions.
craziloki

Postby orau22 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:21 pm

craziloki wrote:IMO calvus and occies would be a great setup with beautiful fish and great interactions.

unfortunately with the size the Calvus get I do not think I could house them in my tank.

What I did find is the Xenotilapia Zambia (http://www.davesfish.com/images/Xenotil ... Zambia.jpg). Seems he is a rock dweller with a more peaceful temperament. Size looks like it maxes out around 4 inches which is about as big as I want to go. I think a group of 3 of these with a shell dweller will go great.

I am probably going to go this route, just have to choose a shellie! I am thinking it will probably be Gold Occies!
orau22

Postby orau22 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:23 pm

orau22 wrote:
craziloki wrote:IMO calvus and occies would be a great setup with beautiful fish and great interactions.

unfortunately with the size the Calvus get I do not think I could house them in my tank.
orau22

Postby Jaciesla » Thu May 17, 2012 11:45 am

Zambias are beautiful fish but they would be hanging out around the occies shells at the bottom of the tank and would be chased off and nipped at by them. All shellies are very territorial of their shells and a small area surrounding them.
Jaciesla

Postby orau22 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:07 pm

this is harder then I thought :x
orau22

Postby orau22 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:36 pm

Paracyprichromis Nigriprinnis with either Gold Occies or another shellie.

Thoughts? How many of each?
orau22

Postby Jaciesla » Thu May 17, 2012 4:06 pm

what size is your tank?
Jaciesla

Postby JMUFTW » Thu May 17, 2012 4:18 pm

orau22 wrote:So I am in the process of redoing my 36 gallon bow front tank (30in long)...
JMUFTW

Postby Jaciesla » Thu May 17, 2012 4:22 pm

Good call haha B) You could probably do a colony of up to 12 occies and maybe 8 Paracyps
Jaciesla

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species