Lake Malawi Species • Sexing yellow labs

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Sexing yellow labs

Postby fishy_foo » Tue May 15, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi,
I read in a book that male labs have a black stripe in their anal fin whereas females don't. Is this true?

I got 8 yellow labs and need to pick out all but 1 male. Can anyone tell me how to sex them without venting?

Thanks,
Ami
fishy_foo

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Sexing yellow labs

Postby ws812 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:42 pm

The black stripe thing is definitely not true. My female that spawns the most has a black stripe in her anal fin. The only sure way of knowing is whether or not the fish has held eggs before. Behavior is sometimes a clue but never concrete.
ws812

Postby fishy_foo » Tue May 15, 2012 4:22 pm

ws812 wrote:The black stripe thing is definitely not true. My female that spawns the most has a black stripe in her anal fin. The only sure way of knowing is whether or not the fish has held eggs before. Behavior is sometimes a clue but never concrete.

Yeeesh ! :x I'm so glad that I got the book from the city library and didn't buy it !
That's definitely one book I will not recommend.
If the labs get along fine, do you think I could just keep them? I got a 55G that I just started.
fishy_foo

Postby Corrupted » Tue May 15, 2012 6:37 pm

Although probably not common on here to recommend this, I've read quite a few times that ratio doesn't matter nearly as much with labs as most other mbuna. Still, you could always wait until there is an issue before making adjustments.
Corrupted

Postby AlphaWild » Tue May 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Because of the uncertain heritage of many yellow lab strains out there, it's hard to generalize. In my experience, I started with a random unsexed group and had no real problems with them until about 3 years old when one fish got beat up. When I removed it for recovery, I decided to try my hand at venting and was surprised to find that one to be female (I was expecting a sub-dom male). After she healed up, I removed a couple more fish so I could sell a breeding trio. I now have 9 adults, at least 3 are certain males, and all is well.
AlphaWild

Postby fishy_foo » Wed May 16, 2012 10:41 am

Thanks guys. I'll keep the 8 I got and see what happens.
fishy_foo

Return to Lake Malawi Species