Cichlid Fish Forum banner

120 Gallon vs 180 Gallon

6K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  bwestgsx06 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am new to the hobby and have not purchased my tank yet.
I want to keep Africans.
I was thinking of 120 Gallons (60"x18"x24"), but am thinking of going all out and obtaining a
180 Gallon (72"x24"x24").

I have kept read-eared sliders before, but never fish.
For a novice, do you think that is way too big for a first aquarium?

Tks.

#2 ·
If I had to do it over again I would have started with the biggest tank I could get and figured it out. Going from 120 to 180 really is not that much different except you will want a bit more filtration. If you have the space I would go for it. Ofcourse if money is an issue you might find a 120 or 125 on C,list for a deal, you may get lucky and find a 180 also. What are you wanting to keep for fish?

#3 ·
tks -- I want to keep the conventional African Cichlids....ones that grow to about 4-6 inches.
I don't mind "mixing the lakes", I just want to add the fish that I like and hopefully are compatible with each other.

I agree about the filtration -- I was thinking the Fluval FX5 for the 120, and if I get the 180, I would get the FX5 + maybe and Eheim Classic 2217, or Rena XP3?

#4 ·
If you have the space for a 6 foot tank but want to economize a little bit, a 125G is a better choice than the 5 foot 120G you're considering. With most cichlids the length of the footprint is more important than the height of the tank. 125G are also easier to find.

#9 ·
MarkyMark75 said:
Cantrelloo: Do you mean the 125 gallon is much more cost effective?
I mean it is much more cost effective to buy the 6' to begin with a opposed to going from a 4' to ultimately a 6' tank.

I bought a 4' 120 onlt realize 4 months later that it wasn't big enough & ended up with a 6' 180.

#11 ·
MarkyMark75 said:
I was thinking of the 5' 120 Gallon, or 6' 125 Gallon.
But yeah, I see what you mean....you can do so much more with a 180.

Do you have any pics?
If you buy the 120 you will want the 125, if you buy the 125 you will want the 180. If you have the 6 feet without intruding into your space get the 180 be warned the 180 gets a whole lot bigger when it's in your living room :thumb:

#15 ·
IMO get a 125. You'll be happier than a 120. A 180 is a real pain in the butt in terms of weight and it's really not that necessary for the stock you've chosen.

If at all possible stay away from anything 4 ft or less. If you find a great deal on a 5 ft tank it would work, but you WILL want a 6 footer sooner or later. Which leads me back to a 125. I think most people are comfortable with just a 125 and than will move on to a 7 footer (200+ gallon) and skip a 180.

#16 ·
For a novice, a 120 gallon is fine. There's nothing wrong with a 5 ft tank (still better than a 4 ft). Really, if it's your first fish tank and you're new to the hobby don't go blowing big bucks just yet. A 120 gallon for a starter tank is luxury in my opinion. If you really love the hobby, you can always get bigger 180 gallon (to add) later! :thumb:

A 180 gallon tank would be amazing though. :drooling:

#21 ·
By all means, if you want the 180, get the 180. It's no harder to maintain than a 120. Typically, the more water you have, the harder it actually is to screw something up.
If you can afford it and you want it, do it. The only problem I could see with doing this would be deciding that you're not really as into fish keeping as you thought you might be and then you're out a whole lot of money.

For anybody that is more or less "testing the waters" of fishkeeping, I always suggest a 55 gallon. They are a nice size, and if you decide it's not for you, you're not out much money, because you can find these tanks for dirt cheap.

#23 ·
BillD said:
My opinion is that if you have six feet, the 180 is the perfect tank. At 24" it isn't too deep to work on and the larger footprint allows for more landscaping.
I agree... The 24" depth is very underated IMO. For mbuna and alot of rock, that extra 6" really helps out...

#25 ·
10g>55g>100g>125g>240g.
that was my progression.

IMO 125g is the tank to get, its pretty much the same tank as the 180g, cheaper, and easier to find.
just depends how much you want to spend, space, and availability in your area.
The 5 foot 100's will work for most cichlids, but the 6 footer works better.

I can find 5 foot 100s, and 6 foot 125's easy here in California, i buy both when i find a deal on them.
Nothing wrong with a 180 if one comes up for sale.
Both the 100 and 125 if Acrylic are easy to move empty by myself, i would need some help with the 180 i think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.