Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New tank up and running... Looking for suggestions.

420 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  nolt2005 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I am new to the Cichlid keeping hobby and being so i thought I would join some online forums for news, advise and discussion.

Well i have finally got my new 75 gallon tank up and running. It has two xp3 filters, 2 koralia power heads, 300 watt fluval e-series, slate/limestone rock scape with tons of hiding places, aquatic life t-5 lighting, and aragonite substrate. So far I've stocked 3 yellow labs, 1 acei, 2 afra's, and 2 crabos. Any suggestions to what I should stock next? I want to get some labidochromis hongi srt's in there but having a hard time getting any breeders to get back to me on them. Any suggestions, comments, and advise is welcome/appreciated!

#2 ·
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

You will want to follow a theme of either mixed gender breeding groups OR all male mbuna. With mixed gender, don't stock more than 4 species and have 1m:4f of each. Except crabro which is very large and aggressive...you need 1m:7f for them and maybe have only 3 species in that case.

Or for all-male stick to one male per species and no look-alikes. Maybe 12 individuals. And read the all-male tank article in the CF Library because there are disadvantages to such a tank...you need extra tanks for one.

#5 ·
the rocks are actually siliconed together from the base rocks to the top. and the base rocks were placed in the tank before any substrate. i can literally almost pick that whole rock scape up in one piece with a couple extra hands. only problem is that its going to be a major pain to re-scape if i ever decide to. but thank you for the concern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.