Aquarium Setup • Foolsafe way to test?

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Foolsafe way to test?

Postby lilcountrygal » Sat May 12, 2012 1:08 am

I have a 125 gallon tank I bought from CL. It was used as a saltwater tank right before I bought it. When I got it, I hosed it out and scrubbed it with quite a bit of vinegar. Set it up, added sand, water, new filters, etc. I just completed my fishless cycle and have a bunch of fish on order that will, hopefully, be delivered next week.

My question... My OCD is now kicking in and I'm questioning if I cleaned the tank enough. I keep thinking there may be "something" in the tank that I didnt clean (live sand? something...) and the second I drop all 18 fish in my tank, they'll die. Am I being completely ridiculous? is there some fail safe method (short of dropping a random fish in the tank) to check if its safe? Has anyone converted a saltwter tank to fresh that can ease my mind a bit?
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Foolsafe way to test?

Postby vann59 » Sat May 12, 2012 1:13 am

Going from salt to fresh isn't that big a deal, especially since africans are hard water fish. A little salt wouldn't bother them at all. Check the pH and hardness and make sure they're ok. And if it's cycling properly and the color is clear and no strange slick on top, you're probably just fine. It's a new filter right? Probably just a little paranoid. :)
PM me to join our local "Manasota Cichlid Keepers Network" here in Sarasota/Manatee FL area.
vann59

Postby phister » Sat May 12, 2012 1:20 am

You should be ok, I actually just helped my cousin convert from sw to fw. His tank is doing just fine

As long as you gave it a good cleaning and rinsing, you should be safe. Just check your water perimeters and your filters are doing its job. These are pretty hardy fish IMO, so you should be ok. Unless you can totally see something with your bare naked eyes then that would be a problem
phister

Postby lilcountrygal » Sat May 12, 2012 1:26 am

vann59 wrote:Going from salt to fresh isn't that big a deal, especially since africans are hard water fish. A little salt wouldn't bother them at all. Check the pH and hardness and make sure they're ok. And if it's cycling properly and the color is clear and no strange slick on top, you're probably just fine. It's a new filter right? Probably just a little paranoid. :)

No slick on top. New filters. Same pH/hardness as I have in my 55 (dont have the numbers as I'm posting, but I do know they match my current 55).

I didnt know if there was an extra precaution or step to go thru when converting a saltwater tank to fresh.... thanks for easing my mind!
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Postby 13razorbackfan » Sat May 12, 2012 4:11 am

lilcountrygal wrote:I have a 125 gallon tank I bought from CL. It was used as a saltwater tank right before I bought it. When I got it, I hosed it out and scrubbed it with quite a bit of vinegar. Set it up, added sand, water, new filters, etc. I just completed my fishless cycle and have a bunch of fish on order that will, hopefully, be delivered next week.

My question... My OCD is now kicking in and I'm questioning if I cleaned the tank enough. I keep thinking there may be "something" in the tank that I didnt clean (live sand? something...) and the second I drop all 18 fish in my tank, they'll die. Am I being completely ridiculous? is there some fail safe method (short of dropping a random fish in the tank) to check if its safe? Has anyone converted a saltwter tank to fresh that can ease my mind a bit?
You are good to go. If you cleaned it out then you are fine. Have at it!!
13razorbackfan

Return to Aquarium Setup