Cichlid Fish Forum banner

5 Gallon Eclipse ideas

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  triscuit 
#1 ·
Hey just got a 5gal eclipse ( one with the bio wheel filter almost built in ) going to turn it into an office tank - got to go Tanganyikan - can I do anything other than a Shellie ? and if so anything other than a Multi Tank ? I have Brevis so I could always take a pair and throw them in here but would anything else work ? filter intake is pretty low to the bottom so afraid a sand bottom would get mucked up pretty quick.

Think Julie Tran Gombe could work ? or maybe Pearl Occies ? what others do you think COULD work ?

#3 ·
As far as territory goes, I think a pair of multies or brevis would be fine. I also think a single Calvus would be ok with the confined quarters. However, I would worry about the water quality/chemistry shifting that might occur in such a small volume of water. If you go for it, be sure to keep up on the tank maintenance, and watch the nitrate/pH/kH/gH for a while to make sure it's not bouncing all over the place.

#5 ·
Having kept brevis in a 10gallon tank, and moving them to a 29g as there was no-way enough space in a 10, I think it would be cruel to keep them in a 5g. IME they protect a territory with about a 20 inch diameter. Tang cichlids dont do very well as singletons on their own either, they get stressed, hide all the time and die pretty quickly.

Best off keeping some shrimp, tiny danios or tetras IMO

#7 ·
I think you all are right - while I think a pair of Brevis could pull it off - I dont want to do it..although I have heard of people successfully keeping a pair of Julie Transcriptus in a 5gal. I am going to go for a 10gal and see if I can keep a few Pearl Occies in it instead.

#8 ·
lufbramatt said:
Having kept brevis in a 10gallon tank, and moving them to a 29g as there was no-way enough space in a 10, I think it would be cruel to keep them in a 5g. IME they protect a territory with about a 20 inch diameter. Tang cichlids dont do very well as singletons on their own either, they get stressed, hide all the time and die pretty quickly.

You sir are crazy if you think Brevis need a 20" diameter, 6-8" diameter is all that is needed for Brevis Pairs.

#9 ·
ILCichlid said:
lufbramatt said:

You sir are crazy if you think Brevis need a 20" diameter, 6-8" diameter is all that is needed for Brevis Pairs.
Yeah, I think one of the members in this forum was able to pull of 2 brevis pairs in a 5 gallon comfortably.

#11 ·
ILCichlid said:
lufbramatt said:

You'd better go explain that to my two pairs of brevis then :lol: The two males still fight now and again and they're in a 90g tank!

#12 ·
Darkskies said:
ILCichlid said:
lufbramatt said:

Yeah, I think one of the members in this forum was able to pull of 2 brevis pairs in a 5 gallon comfortably.
That was me, 6 gallon tank. Worked great. Both pairs spawned within 10" or so of each other. A bit of posturing by the males, but nothing worse than that. Not all fish are the same, so what works for one may not another, but I've kept brevis pairs in close proximity in at least three different tanks that I can think of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.