Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Who spawned in your tank today ?!!!!

311K views 2K replies 421 participants last post by  Iggy Newcastle 
#1 ·
A. Stuartgranti Maleri Island- 1st spawn so not expecting much from her

F1 Cyno. Afra Cobue- 1 of 3 holding, other 2 have tubes down- whoohoo, love this fish

#930 ·
DJRansome said:
For those with Demasoni, do you tend to notice them spawning at any particular times, or lights on or off, etc. My males tend to do the shimmy about every fifteen minutes if I am watching them, yet I havent actually seen them spawn yet. But every two or three days I seem to have a new holding female. I guess I just dont catch them in the act. Must be shy, lol. I need more tanks for fry, I'm at 43 and have five more batches in the ovens. Glad that I have a few shops willing to buy juvies.

#931 ·
I'm excited - witnessed my first spawn today. My yellow-tail aceis are only 2" and I had not even tried to sex them at this point. I wasn't expecting spawning this young but noticed that they were spinning and chasing each other. They had chased the other fish away and had an entire extra large piece of holey rock to themselves. They were up near the top of the rock and some of the eggs were sinking into the tunnels and others down to the gravel. The female seemed to do a good job of collecting. She is definitely holding - puffy jaw. She wanted to eat but was not taking anything in. I'm not planning on raising fry so I will just let her spit in the tank. I will keep an eye on her for any bullying. Everything in the tank is still young so there hasn't been much aggression at all. The aceis are my largest.

#932 ·
I have two albino Socolofi and possibly a Demasoni all holding. Like amcvettec, I wasn't planning on raising fry (yet, anyway), so I don't have a separate tank for them, nor am I prepared to strip them at work, since the tank is in my office. What do you think are the chances any of them will survive in 90ish gallon tank with tons of hides and 2 Fryeri, 3 albino Socolofi, 3 albino Auratus, 3 Demasoni, 3 Johanni and 2 C. moorii? They're all young, no one seems super aggressive.

#935 ·
I took out 2 Yellow labs, 2 Rusty and 2 Cyno sp. "Hara" that are holding last night when I was doing my water change, so there will be a nice amount of fry. :fish:

I just notcied that another Rusty have just spawned this morning... Oh well, she has to wait until next water change.

#936 ·
No fresh spawns but still have one demasoni holding and stripped the other girl of eighteen fry last night.

#942 ·
Hongi Is. Jakes spawned last night, first time I've seen this pair in action, it was quite a sight and lasted ~20 minutes total.

This is their third try- I'm setting up my 10G for her right now with a cycled sponge filter from my 37G.

Last time I tried to net her she spat her eggs and the Mooriis had a feast- I'm keepin' my fingers crossed.

#945 ·
Geophagus steindachneri (again... gonna start adding salt peter to their water!)
Just found a rock wall covered in Steatocranus casuarius eggs :)
And... our Lamprologus ornatipinnus!! :dancing:

Very thrilled about that last, as we bought 6 hoping for a pair and 4 died. We were sure the two remaining were both boys.