Aquarium Setup • Couple of questions before I stock

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

Couple of questions before I stock

Postby lilcountrygal » Sun May 06, 2012 10:10 am

So... I'm almost done with the fishless cycle in my 125. I'm converting ammonia and nitrites in under 48 hours (for about a week now), so I assume that's close (actually... IS it close to being done?).

I'm having a little change in my plans. I have probably 8 3" cichilds I was going to move from my 55 over and then go to my favorite local fish store for additional. Now, I'll be getting 5 one inch Williamsi and 5 one inch F1 Hongi, hopefully within the next couple weeks. I've been advised not to add my 3"ers with the babies due to the obvious... that would be an expensive lunch for my Moorii/Zebras. So, the Williamsi and Hongis will have the run of the 125 for a while until I can fatten them up a bit. So, I'm assuming because the waste output for them will be minimal, I wont be able to keep them in the tank alone for a few weeks and then heavily stock the tank? How many do you add to a tank and in what time period to not upset the cycle?
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Couple of questions before I stock

Postby GTZ » Sun May 06, 2012 10:26 am

You shouldn't have a problem increasing your stock. Once the bacteria are established, they reproduce fairly quickly to accommodate increases in ammonia, doubling their numbers if needed within 24 hours.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby lilcountrygal » Sun May 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks, GTZ. Wasnt sure if the bacteria would die off since there will only be 10 very small fish in the 125.. was worried about stocking more and having an ammonia spike. Glad to know it wont be a problem.

Back to the other question... if I'm converting within 48 hours (for about a week now), in your experience, am I within, say, a week of being done? (Fish will be ready to ship May 7th at the earliest... just wondering how soon I should prepare to actually GET fish). If I can be in the "convert in 48 hours" stage for another few weeks, I just wanted to give the shipper a heads up that it may be longer than anticipated.
55 G - AC110 and AquaTech 30/60 ~ 5 yellow Labs, 5 Callainos, 5 Callainos Blueberry, 5 Rusty
125 G - XP4 and AquaTop CF-500UV - 5 Pseudotropheus Williamsi North, 5 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni, 4 Lab. Hongi, 4 C. Moori, 1 Acei Ngara, Red Empress, Venustus
lilcountrygal

Postby GTZ » Sun May 06, 2012 1:25 pm

I've never done a fishless cycle so any time frame would be just a guess on my part. How quickly is ammonia dropping to 0 and how many ppm are you dosing?
When you do finally stock, I'd test ammonia daily for a few days just to be on the safe side.
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby lilcountrygal » Sun May 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Ammonia is and has been converting in 24 hours. Im just waiting for Nitrite to drop that fast too. Im dosing to 2 ppm. I havent tested nitrates, I'll do that before i stock. I'm sure I'll need a nice size water change once i convert both in 24 hours.
lilcountrygal

Postby GTZ » Sun May 06, 2012 9:36 pm

If I had to guess, I'd say within a week. It'll be sudden.
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby phister » Mon May 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Karin, are you doing decent WCs? Give the tank one last good hoorah WC and see what happens after that. Keep us updated =]
phister

Postby lilcountrygal » Tue May 08, 2012 12:53 pm

No, I'm not doing water changes... I dont want to mess with the cycle. I top off evaporation, thats about it. I changed 30% once to lower the nitrites (off the chart), but none after that. Ill wait until I convert in 24 hours and then check nitrates and probably do a WC then.
lilcountrygal

Postby phister » Tue May 08, 2012 2:03 pm

Darn tank needs to hurry up and cycle! I'm getting impatient!
phister

Postby lilcountrygal » Tue May 08, 2012 4:10 pm

me too! Fish are definitely coming in next week tho. I can hardly wait!!!
lilcountrygal

Postby lilcountrygal » Wed May 09, 2012 9:32 pm

GTZ wrote:If I had to guess, I'd say within a week. It'll be sudden.

Awesome guess GTZ! Im at zero this evening in 24 hours. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. And to think I was worried I couldnt figure this fishless cycle thing out :D

Last question... I'm gonna be getting 10 1" fish next week (hopefully Wednesday). Should I add one teaspoon (brings me to approx. 1 ppm) on, say, Saturday to keep the cycle going or should I just leave everything alone and it'll stay good until next week?
lilcountrygal

Postby GTZ » Wed May 09, 2012 10:11 pm

:fish: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :fish:
You can leave things as they are, no cause for concern as far as bacteria dying off in 1 week.
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby lilcountrygal » Thu May 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the help!! Cant wait to see fish swimming in this tank! Started the cycle on 3/31.
lilcountrygal

Postby JAyliffe » Thu May 10, 2012 5:53 pm

:dancing: Can't wait to see your fish swimming there too :) You will be posting pics now, won't u :)
250G Malawi Male
Mbuna Afra Cobue, P Elongatus, Albino, OB
Haps Borleyi, Moori, Taeniolatus, Fryeri, Ovatus, Taiwan Reef, Insignius, Intermedius, Venustus, Fusco, Livingstonii, Rhoadesii, Mloto
Peacocks OB Peacock, Lemon Jake, Rubescens, Dragon Blood
JAyliffe

Postby lilcountrygal » Fri May 11, 2012 12:09 pm

Ill definitely post some pics. Might be pretty boring in the beginning.... I'll have 5 one inch Williamsi and 5 one inch Hongi with the run of the tank until they get a bit bigger and I can move some of my 55 stock over.
lilcountrygal

Next

Return to Aquarium Setup