Aquarium Setup • smelly fish tank

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

smelly fish tank

Postby ryans125g » Sun May 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Well guys im gonna need help on this one my wife swears that theres a funky smell comming from my aquarium and i smell nothing. i already no where this one gonna aend up going so before she even attemps to bring up the subjeck im gonna fix this little issue with the help of my fellow fish keeping friends. I need hlp on this one guys and suggestions home remidys or comments will be much appreciated thanks alot use always seem to show up when help is need thanks everyone. im on call for this one and will be waiting for some good feed back and doing some research as well. :fish:
ryans125g

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: smelly fish tank

Postby jd lover » Sun May 06, 2012 3:18 pm

are you over feeding? got a dead fish somewhere? usually thats the reason behind the fish smell. doesnt hurt to do a huge water change
no medicine works better than clean water.
no such thing as too much clean water, so go do a water change now.
jd lover

Postby nodima » Sun May 06, 2012 4:01 pm

try removing the glass tops, and then clean the edges of them and the tank rim - sometimes old food gets caught in there and that can smell, too.
180 gal - Kigoma Frontosa, Synodontis Multipunctatus, Giant Danios

125gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Postby AfricanLove » Sun May 06, 2012 4:03 pm

I noticed that my florescent light fixture was giving off a smell like murky muddy water. Changed the bulb and fixture. All Better :thumb:
My pride and Joy:
First 75 gallon F2 Tropheus Moorii "Chimba Red"
AfricanLove

Postby rp-photo » Sun May 06, 2012 4:10 pm

1: if youve got a planted tank, you might be smelling build up of fish poop, maybe one of the fish yanked a plant up and stired it about..
2: some Florescent lights , if water splashes on them can cause a calcification on the bulb or fixture or tank, pretty much wherever the water stands this could attribute to the smell, it smells similar to fish....
3: dead fish stuck somewhere by a filter or infact in the filter
4: your wife is just trying to get you to pay more attention to her rather than the fish ..... :lol:
Marineland 55gal w/ Dual LED Hood's (both Daytime/Nighttime settings)
-CF500uv
rp-photo

Postby vann59 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Perhaps your wife needs something new and nice. Or it could possibly be the tank. Make sure you know where all the fish are, and have you spilled water behind it and not cleaned it up? And all the aforementioned stuff.
PM me to join our local "Manasota Cichlid Keepers Network" here in Sarasota/Manatee FL area.
vann59

Postby ryans125g » Sun May 06, 2012 8:36 pm

is it normal when u smell directly over your aquarium for it to smell a little funny or shoudnt it smell what so ever thats the only thing i can pick up just asking and could it be my fry tank under neath my main tank since they all just sheaded off there egg sacks about a week ago idunno might be a funny question but just trying to find a resolution for the problem
ryans125g

Postby ryans125g » Sun May 06, 2012 8:38 pm

no dead fish and i cleaned around the rim of the aquarium pretty well might have missed a few small spots but got the majority of the muck build up
ryans125g

Postby GTZ » Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 pm

Run carbon for a few days and see if she can still smell it.
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby countryboy814 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:21 am

Over feeding especially with pellets causes a strong fish smell.
countryboy814

Postby AulonoKarl » Mon May 07, 2012 9:50 am

What kind of substrate are you using? Some larger gravel substrates can be hard to vacuum. Also, if using any gravel, I would make sure you have no more than 2". The deeper it is, the harder it's going to be to get all of the waste out.

If by chance you are using play sand as substrate, it is necessary to stir it up a bit every week to keep smelly and dangerous gasses from building up.
AulonoKarl

Postby BillD » Mon May 07, 2012 1:27 pm

How often and how much water do you change? Clean water doesn't tend to have an odor.
BillD

Postby ryans125g » Tue May 08, 2012 7:41 pm

yea play sand and i stir it up ever other change i average about 30-45 % every 10 days
ryans125g

Postby ryans125g » Tue May 08, 2012 7:45 pm

recently I've been stayin on top of it pretty good but other wise i had a recent spawn occur with 30fry and my i lost a batch cause i let mom spit in the tank im starting to think when i did them 3 water changes almost back to back the cool water caused my fish ti breed not to be of topic
ryans125g

Return to Aquarium Setup