Illness, Health & Nutrition • Possible bloat?

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderators: Robin, GTZ

Postby 1Cichlid17LoVeR7 » Sat May 05, 2012 1:18 pm

Ok then. If he gets appitite back should i treat the same way again? And using the other meds can i treat him in the same tank?
1Cichlid17LoVeR7

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby 1Cichlid17LoVeR7 » Sat May 05, 2012 2:08 pm

And the other fish i lost looked bloated for a while beofore she looked like a pinecone
1Cichlid17LoVeR7

Postby GTZ » Sat May 05, 2012 4:11 pm

1Cichlid17LoVeR7 wrote:Ok then. If he gets appitite back should i treat the same way again? And using the other meds can i treat him in the same tank?

Do the remainder of the treatment then see if he eats a few pellets, don't do a normal feed amount. If he eats, do a water change 24 hours after the last metro dosage, add epsom to the replacement water and fast for a further 3-5 days. Return to normal salinity and resume regular feeding and water changes.
If he doesn't eat after the current treatment, perform a 50% water change, run carbon for 24 hours, then proceed with the other medications with carbon removed. It would be best to have the fish in a separate tank while medicating with antibacterials. In fact, all of the treatments would be best in a separate tank just to be able to monitor excrement amounts and color/consisitency, but the priority would be for the antibiotic meds, epsom and metro are ok for the other fish.

1Cichlid17LoVeR7 wrote:And the other fish i lost looked bloated for a while beofore she looked like a pinecone

How long roughly was a while?
What do you feed?
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere'
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Re: Possible bloat?

Postby 1Cichlid17LoVeR7 » Sat May 05, 2012 6:38 pm

I would say the other was bloated like a year-ish. Since the 2 have the same symptomes and issues i doubt its a tumor or growth. Is there anything else that causes the fish to be bloated other than what im treating for now? He looks better after these past days of treating. He looks more responsive and is sucking air less. We feed them omega one small cichlid pellets and occasionaly veggies
1Cichlid17LoVeR7

Postby GTZ » Sat May 05, 2012 8:06 pm

I would look for a common cause, such as food, water change amount and frequency, any water additives, tank size, aggression, etc.
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby 1Cichlid17LoVeR7 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:48 pm

There is aggresion would the aggresion cause them to bloat though? The food was being fed to the other one as well so its a candidate but there is no other thing that i could really think of the water is changed regularly and there is no other problems. How many 6 inch convicts should be kept in a twenty gallon? May it be over stocked?
1Cichlid17LoVeR7

Postby 1Cichlid17LoVeR7 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:44 pm

When i say aggresion i mean semi. They each have their own territories. The only other thing i could thing of would be over crouding
1Cichlid17LoVeR7

Postby 1Cichlid17LoVeR7 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Oh and one more thing, the 2 medications you mentioned are they for parasites or bacteria? If i cant find any of the mentioned medicines can i use anything else? This is why i am asking if it is fungal or bacterial
1Cichlid17LoVeR7

Postby GTZ » Sun May 06, 2012 9:28 pm

Nitrofurazone and kanamycin are both antibacterial. If you don't end up seeing results from the metronidazole and epsom salt, then it's a shot in the dark as far as what else could be causing them to bloat. The metro is anti-parasitic and antibacterial to a degree. If it doesn't work, the next thing I would try would be a broad based antibacterial like the ones I suggested.
Check thatpetplace.com or kensfish.com for the meds.
What are the dimensions of your 20 gallon? I don't think there should be more than a pair of full grown (6") convicts in a 20 gallon tank.
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby 1Cichlid17LoVeR7 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:44 pm

He's still not eating. I've just put a quarentine tank up. I put the bio filter cartrage from the home tank in there to build the bio up. I put a hiding place and some gravel. I filled it with like 2-3 gallons from the home tank and the rest ias tap. How long should i wait before moving him? And just a question how long have you had cichlids for?
1Cichlid17LoVeR7

Postby GTZ » Sun May 06, 2012 10:47 pm

1Cichlid17LoVeR7 wrote:He's still not eating. I've just put a quarentine tank up. I put the bio filter cartrage from the home tank in there to build the bio up. I put a hiding place and some gravel. I filled it with like 2-3 gallons from the home tank and the rest ias tap. How long should i wait before moving him? And just a question how long have you had cichlids for?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've been treating with epsom and metro for 2 or 3 days? Give it another 5 days before you move him. I assume you're moving him to give the antibiotics a try?
Dose epsom salt in the quarantine tank so that it's the same concentration as what he's used to from the other tank.
I started out with tropicals about 15 years ago, left the hobby for a while, then got back into it about 5 or 6 years ago. Mainly malawi, with a few tanganyikan tanks along the way.
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby 1Cichlid17LoVeR7 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:48 am

I had started last tuesday, i had the meds from before and started using it when he started looking bad. So he was treated for 5 days. Your saying give him another five days before moving him? If he turns for the worst before five days are up can i move him? Is there a certain number of days before the quarentine tank is safe for fish (not that im going to move him before another five days).
I've had the cichlids for ten years and i just dont want them to pass away
1Cichlid17LoVeR7

Postby GTZ » Mon May 07, 2012 7:02 pm

I'd give it another 3 days to see if there's any physical improvement or if he'll eat.
If you transferred filter media from a cycled tank into the quarantine tank, then it should be good to go. What size is the tank?
I've never kept convicts so I don't know a whole lot about them, but the little research I did suggests that their lifespan is around the 10 year mark. I'm sure there are some that live longer or not as long. This makes me wonder if this illness could just be a natural progression due to age.
Either way, I'd stil attempt to treat if it was my fish.
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby 1Cichlid17LoVeR7 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Ok so ill move him on tuesday if there is no signifigant improvement. If it is old age i would think that the others would show some sign of old age as well.
It could be old age but i find it odd that i had a fish pass from the same simptomes. I will continue to treat him in the other tank until he is better or otherwise. If anything putting him in the new tank will reduce the crowding in the home tank. The new tank is a ten gallon tne other was a 20 gallon.
Thank you for all the help. Ill move my little buddy on wedsday and start treating him. How long after moving him should i start treating him. If the first medicine doensnt work then how long should i wait before treating him with something else?
1Cichlid17LoVeR7

Previous

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition