Cichlid Fish Forum banner

backround quick question

856 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  newcichlidz 
#1 ·
so i have a 90g tank with a huge backround duno how many gallons it is but i think it takes up like 35/40 gallons.

so my question is do i treat it as a 90gallon or a 55/60 gallon tank.

#3 ·
Deeda said:
I would treat it as to the volume of water it holds for stocking purposes, water changes and any medication/water treatment you may do on the tank.
so the volume of water with the diy backround in it right??, i dont know 100% wht the volume would be.

my diy backround is liek this but a tiny bit less bulkier
http://dramaticaquascapes.com/files/IMG_185.jpg

so how many gallons do you think it would be

#7 ·
So does this mean your tank finally cycled? Or did you pull the background and go with Drylok?

Don't know what to tell ya on how to get your volume of water at the moment, but when you do a large water change..... say 50%.... Mark your tank on the outside with a dry erase marker at the halfway point on the height of the tank. Remove the water and stop at that mark. Put the water back in a gallon (or 5gallon) at a time. I know its tedious, but at least you will have a rough idea how many gallons of water its now holding taking how many gallons you put back multiplying by 2 for your answer to the volume. It won't be exact but close enough. If you ever have to pull all your fish out for some reason into a rubbermaid tote, that would be the time to find out exactly how much water its holding accurately.

#10 ·
newcichlidz said:
DanniGirl said:
As Jayse suggested, you actually have to measure the amount of water you have in the tank then treat accordingly.
alright i sent u a pm, dont know if you got it
Who were you sending the PM to?

If you sent it to me, you'll need to re-send, I didn't get it. I think there's a problem with the site, I had to repost a thread that didn't show up and the layout has changed too. If it wasn't to me, did your PH ever settle and have you started to cycle yet?

#11 ·
Jayse said:
newcichlidz said:
DanniGirl said:
As Jayse suggested, you actually have to measure the amount of water you have in the tank then treat accordingly.
alright i sent u a pm, dont know if you got it
Who were you sending the PM to?

If you sent it to me, you'll need to re-send, I didn't get it. I think there's a problem with the site, I had to repost a thread that didn't show up and the layout has changed too. If it wasn't to me, did your PH ever settle and have you started to cycle yet?
I sent pm to Danni girl.. And no my ph went down to 8.2 and someone said that I can start cycling it, but first I have to add baking soda to bring up my kh so it can maintain my ph at 8.2 .

What are your thoughts ??

#12 ·
Well, first off.... if you haven't started to cycle yet, it would be a perfectly good time to refill your tank counting how many gallons you put in so you have an accurate measurement if and when you need to add dechlorinator or any other chems.

What kind of substrate are you going to put in it and what type of rocks? If you use holey rock it will help buffer your PH, there are other rocks that do the same... not sure which ones though. Same with adding some crushed coral to your substrate.

Good job on your water though.... told you it would happen. Don't forget to post some pics when you get it going.

#13 ·
Jayse said:
Well, first off.... if you haven't started to cycle yet, it would be a perfectly good time to refill your tank counting how many gallons you put in so you have an accurate measurement if and when you need to add dechlorinator or any other chems.

What kind of substrate are you going to put in it and what type of rocks? If you use holey rock it will help buffer your PH, there are other rocks that do the same... not sure which ones though. Same with adding some crushed coral to your substrate.

Good job on your water though.... told you it would happen. Don't forget to post some pics when you get it going.
i have like 20/30 pounds of lace rock, i want to use sand as mh substrate but i also have some crushed coral that i used on my 20g saltwater tank a long time ago.

my tap water ph is 6.8 but the tank ph dropped to 8.2 so then someone tld me to strt cycling.

and yeaaa thanks ill post pictures aswell when i get it going

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.