Aquarium Setup • backround quick question

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: triscuit, fmueller

backround quick question

Postby newcichlidz » Fri May 04, 2012 3:46 pm

so i have a 90g tank with a huge backround duno how many gallons it is but i think it takes up like 35/40 gallons.

so my question is do i treat it as a 90gallon or a 55/60 gallon tank.
newcichlidz
 
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: canada

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Deeda » Fri May 04, 2012 7:05 pm

I would treat it as to the volume of water it holds for stocking purposes, water changes and any medication/water treatment you may do on the tank.
Deeda
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:49 pm
Location: Medina, Ohio, USA

Postby newcichlidz » Fri May 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Deeda wrote:I would treat it as to the volume of water it holds for stocking purposes, water changes and any medication/water treatment you may do on the tank.


so the volume of water with the diy backround in it right??, i dont know 100% wht the volume would be.

my diy backround is liek this but a tiny bit less bulkier
http://dramaticaquascapes.com/files/IMG_185.jpg

so how many gallons do you think it would be
newcichlidz
 
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: canada

Postby JimA » Fri May 04, 2012 8:11 pm

I can't imagine the background displacing that much volume. 4 maybe 5 gallons at the most. 30 to 40 would be alot!
The only difficult day was yesterday.
JimA
 
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: B,ham Washington

Postby DanniGirl » Fri May 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Deeda wrote:I would treat it as to the volume of water it holds for stocking purposes, water changes and any medication/water treatment you may do on the tank.


+1
User avatar
DanniGirl
 
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:24 pm
Location: Flagstaff, AZ

Postby newcichlidz » Fri May 04, 2012 8:58 pm

DanniGirl wrote:
Deeda wrote:I would treat it as to the volume of water it holds for stocking purposes, water changes and any medication/water treatment you may do on the tank.


+1


prob a stupid question but should i treat it as a 90g then ? haha
newcichlidz
 
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: canada

Postby Jayse » Sat May 05, 2012 1:34 am

So does this mean your tank finally cycled? Or did you pull the background and go with Drylok?

Don't know what to tell ya on how to get your volume of water at the moment, but when you do a large water change..... say 50%.... Mark your tank on the outside with a dry erase marker at the halfway point on the height of the tank. Remove the water and stop at that mark. Put the water back in a gallon (or 5gallon) at a time. I know its tedious, but at least you will have a rough idea how many gallons of water its now holding taking how many gallons you put back multiplying by 2 for your answer to the volume. It won't be exact but close enough. If you ever have to pull all your fish out for some reason into a rubbermaid tote, that would be the time to find out exactly how much water its holding accurately.
112g- Dry and empty
55g - Currently setting up
40g - Yellow Tail Acei
10g - Hospital tank
Jayse
 
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:12 am
Location: Florida

Re:

Postby DanniGirl » Sat May 05, 2012 6:47 pm

As Jayse suggested, you actually have to measure the amount of water you have in the tank then treat accordingly.
User avatar
DanniGirl
 
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:24 pm
Location: Flagstaff, AZ

Re: Re:

Postby newcichlidz » Sat May 05, 2012 11:42 pm

DanniGirl wrote:As Jayse suggested, you actually have to measure the amount of water you have in the tank then treat accordingly.


alright i sent u a pm, dont know if you got it
newcichlidz
 
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: canada

Re: Re:

Postby Jayse » Sun May 06, 2012 1:56 am

newcichlidz wrote:
DanniGirl wrote:As Jayse suggested, you actually have to measure the amount of water you have in the tank then treat accordingly.


alright i sent u a pm, dont know if you got it


Who were you sending the PM to?

If you sent it to me, you'll need to re-send, I didn't get it. I think there's a problem with the site, I had to repost a thread that didn't show up and the layout has changed too. If it wasn't to me, did your PH ever settle and have you started to cycle yet?
112g- Dry and empty
55g - Currently setting up
40g - Yellow Tail Acei
10g - Hospital tank
Jayse
 
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:12 am
Location: Florida

Re: Re:

Postby newcichlidz » Sun May 06, 2012 2:42 am

Jayse wrote:
newcichlidz wrote:
DanniGirl wrote:As Jayse suggested, you actually have to measure the amount of water you have in the tank then treat accordingly.


alright i sent u a pm, dont know if you got it


Who were you sending the PM to?

If you sent it to me, you'll need to re-send, I didn't get it. I think there's a problem with the site, I had to repost a thread that didn't show up and the layout has changed too. If it wasn't to me, did your PH ever settle and have you started to cycle yet?



I sent pm to Danni girl.. And no my ph went down to 8.2 and someone said that I can start cycling it, but first I have to add baking soda to bring up my kh so it can maintain my ph at 8.2 .

What are your thoughts ??
newcichlidz
 
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: canada

Re: backround quick question

Postby Jayse » Sun May 06, 2012 4:09 am

Well, first off.... if you haven't started to cycle yet, it would be a perfectly good time to refill your tank counting how many gallons you put in so you have an accurate measurement if and when you need to add dechlorinator or any other chems.

What kind of substrate are you going to put in it and what type of rocks? If you use holey rock it will help buffer your PH, there are other rocks that do the same... not sure which ones though. Same with adding some crushed coral to your substrate.

Good job on your water though.... told you it would happen. Don't forget to post some pics when you get it going.
112g- Dry and empty
55g - Currently setting up
40g - Yellow Tail Acei
10g - Hospital tank
Jayse
 
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:12 am
Location: Florida

Re: backround quick question

Postby newcichlidz » Sun May 06, 2012 1:47 pm

Jayse wrote:Well, first off.... if you haven't started to cycle yet, it would be a perfectly good time to refill your tank counting how many gallons you put in so you have an accurate measurement if and when you need to add dechlorinator or any other chems.

What kind of substrate are you going to put in it and what type of rocks? If you use holey rock it will help buffer your PH, there are other rocks that do the same... not sure which ones though. Same with adding some crushed coral to your substrate.

Good job on your water though.... told you it would happen. Don't forget to post some pics when you get it going.



i have like 20/30 pounds of lace rock, i want to use sand as mh substrate but i also have some crushed coral that i used on my 20g saltwater tank a long time ago.

my tap water ph is 6.8 but the tank ph dropped to 8.2 so then someone tld me to strt cycling.

and yeaaa thanks ill post pictures aswell when i get it going
newcichlidz
 
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: canada


Return to Aquarium Setup

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests